Latitude / Longitude:
2,641 ft (805 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Mobeetie is a city in northwestern Wheeler County, Texas, United States, located on Sweetwater Creek and State Highway 152. The population was 101 at the 2010 census, six below the 2000 figure.
Mobeetie (formerly known as “Cantonment Sweetwater”) was a trading post for hunters and trappers for nearby United States Army outpost Fort Elliott. It was first a buffalo hunter’s camp unofficially called “Hidetown.” Connected to the major cattle-drive town of Dodge City, Kansas by the Jones-Plummer Trail, Mobeetie was a destination for stagecoach freight and buffalo skinners. As it grew, the town supported the development of cattle ranches within a hundred-mile radius by supplying the staple crops.
At its peak in 1890, the town had over four hundred people, but Mobeetie’s boom days ended when Fort Elliott closed that same year. Further decline came with the tornado of May 1, 1898, and then the loss of the county seat, in 1907, to Wheeler. In 1929, Wheeler moved two miles when the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway built nearby tracks. The town steadily grew again until the start of World War II brought a peak of about five hundred. The Pioneer West Museum in Shamrock, Texas, preserves the heritage of the Old Mobeetie region. Its contains an exhibit on Fort Elliott.
Because of the presence of Fort Elliott and Mobeetie’s importance as a commercial center, Wheeler County became the first politically organized county in the Texas Panhandle, in 1879, followed by Oldham County at Tascosa, now a ghost town. Mobeetie became the first county seat for Wheeler County. From 1880 to 1883, the notorious Robert Clay Allison ranched with his two brothers, John William and Jeremiah Monroe, twelve miles northeast of town, at the junction of the Washita River and Gageby Creek. One day, Allison rode through Mobeetie drunk and naked. Allison married America Medora “Dora” McCulloch in Mobeetie on February 15, 1881.