Latitude / Longitude:
1,742 ft (531 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Morris Ranch is a ghost town, located 8.5 miles (13.7 km) southwest of Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, in the U.S. state of Texas. The area was begun as a thoroughbred horse ranch by New Yorker Francis Morris in 1856, and the town grew up around it. In 1962, the school district was merged with Fredericksburg Independent School District, and the Morris Ranch school ceased operations. The Morris Ranch school was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1980, Marker number 10086.
In 1856, New York City broker Francis Morris bought 23,000 acres (93.08 km2; 35.94 sq mi) of land in Gillespie and Kerr counties for twenty-five cents an acre. He eventually sold off all but 16,000 acres (64.75 km2; 25.00 sq mi), and hired his nephew Charles Morris to manage the acreage for horse breeding. Charles was ranch manager until 1910.
Clayton Morris succeeded Charles Morris as manager, and in 1902 sold the horses and subdivided the ranch into tenant cotton farms. Clayton’s son Reginald inherited the ranch from his father, but it was no longer a vital business. Although some of the original buildings were still standing in the year 2000, the population began a decline after the subdivision happened. By 1968, no population was listed.
When the Morris Ranch post office opened in 1893, Guy D. Anderson was the first postmaster. He was succeeded by Charles Morris in 1894, who was subsequently succeeded by Clayton Morris in 1910. Clayton Morris served as postmaster until the post office closed in 1954 when the Morris Ranch store was shut down. The town has been the subject of a ghost story involving the death of Morris Ranch resident Mary Elizabeth Simmons Byrd in 1948.