Latitude / Longitude:
1,362 ft (415 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Nix is an unincorporated community in southwestern Lampasas County, Texas, United States. Nix was once a stop on a stagecoach route.
The Fort Phantom Hill Road, a Texas Fort Trail, ran through the Nix in the 1850s. The community was settled in the early 1880s on the stagecoach and mail route which ran west from Lampasas. In 1883, David Coterell started a blacksmith shop, and Elizabeth Wallace opened a general store. Wallace was the first postmistress when she opened a post office in her store. The post office was discontinued in 1906. Nix had two mills and gins by 1892, and churches had been established by 1896.
The population of Nix reached its peak of 27 in 1896. In 2000, six people were living in Nix. A Texas historical marker was placed in front of the school in 2007.
There was considerable interest in drilling for gas and oil in the area during the 1920s and 1930s, though Nix was the site of the county’s only dry test well. By 1947, a combination church/school had been established west of the community.