Latitude / Longitude:
2,739 ft (835 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Plemons is a ghost town in Hutchinson County, in the U.S. state of Texas. It is located 10 miles southeast of Stinnett, and 8 miles (13 km) northeast of Borger, on Plemons Road, just north of the juncture of County Road R.
In 1898, Oklahoma rancher James Andrew Whittenburg filed on four sections of land in Hutchinson County. There he built a dugout shelter near the Canadian River. He used the acreage as the family homestead. In 1901, Whittenburg donated acreage from the homestead land, for the establishment of Plemons. When Barney Plemons filed for land there, the town was named for him. Plemons became the county seat in 1901 when Hutchinson County was organized. E. E. Akers built the courthouse.
The Amarillo branch of the Rock Island and Gulf Railway bypassed Plemons, routing 10 miles (16 km) to the north. Stinnett was then developed to be a shipping point for the railroad. In 1926, the county seat of government was moved to Stinnett. Plemons began to decline after that, despite a brief spurt during the oil boom. Today Plemons is considered a ghost town.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark Marker number 12096 was designated for the Plemons Cemetery. The first burial is believed to have been Mrs. E. E. Akers, date unknown. The last burial was Charles Ray Sessions in 1953. The local Boy Scouts troop spearheaded preservations efforts of the cemetery.