Latitude / Longitude:
28° 54′ 36″ N, 96° 33′ 36″ W
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Texana, Texas is a ghost town which was located in Jackson County near Edna. The community was one of the earliest Anglo-American settlements in the state. The town flourished as late as 1880, but when the railroad bypassed the town, it rapidly declined. The site now lies under the Lake Texana reservoir.
In 1832 Dr. Francis F. Wells and his sister-in-law, Pamelia McNutt Porter, founded a community in south central Jackson County that later developed into Texana. The village was originally named Santa Anna after Antonio López de Santa Anna, at the time a popular Mexican liberal, soldier, and politician. In 1835, however, after Santa Anna had proven himself an enemy of republican government, the residents of the settlement changed the name to Texana. During the Texas Revolution of 1835-1836, Texana served as a port of entry and training camp for many volunteers from the United States. Dr. Jack Shackelford’s company of Alabama Red Rovers camped around Texana for about two weeks before joining James Fannin’s command at Goliad. In the spring of 1836 the citizens of Texana joined the Runaway Scrape. “Uncle” Jeff Parson, a slave during the Runaway Scrape, told how the “old town of Texana was abandoned, not an individual was left on Jackson County soil, all were in flight, where they were going no one knew.”
Lake Texana, a reservoir on the Navidad River, currently covers the ghost town, as a result of the construction of the Palmetto Bend Dam, which was finished in 1979. The lake currently serves as a recreational destination for visitors. The dam and the lake are managed by the Lavaca-Navidad River Authority.