Latitude / Longitude:
31° 13′ 30″ N, 101° 41′ 22″ W
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Texon is a small unincorporated town in Reagan County, Texas, United States, in the western part of the state. The town is noted for its boom as an oil town and subsequent near abandonment.
The town originates from May 23, 1923, when oil was discovered. The town was named for the Texon Oil and Land Company, which drilled the first successful oil well in the Permian Basin. On December 4, 1928, under the supervision of Carl G. Cromwell, Texon Oil discovered the Santa Rita University 1-B, at that time the world’s deepest well at 8,525 feet. Texon Oil and Land Company developed the Santa Rita oil field. Texon’s leases were subsequently purchased by M. L. “Mike” Benedum and Joe Trees of Pittsburgh, who formed the Big Lake Oil Company.
The population in 1996 was estimated at less than 10. At its peak in 1933, the town had approximately 1,200 inhabitants. The town is located in Reagan County. It is 3 /10 mile (0.5 km) south of U.S. Route 67 on RM 1675. It is 85 miles west of San Angelo, Texas. Texon was served by the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway.
Texon was considered a model oil community. A grade school, a church, a hospital, a theater, a swimming pool, a golf course, and tennis courts were built by the Big Lake Oil Company. The Texon Oilers, a semi-professional baseball team, were started. Privately owned businesses appeared, including a drug store, a cafe, a boarding house, a tailor-shop, dry-goods and grocery stores, barber and beauty shops, a service station, a dairy, an ice house, and a bowling alley.