Latitude / Longitude:
6,227 ft (1,898 m)
Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)
Tucker is a ghost town located near the east end of Spanish Fork Canyon in Utah County, Utah, United States 7 miles (11 km) below Soldier Summit on U.S. Route 6. It was once an important loading point and construction camp on the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad (D&RGW). After the town was abandoned, the state of Utah used the town site for a rest area. In 2009, the site was buried as part of a project to re-align a portion of US-6’s western approach to Soldier Summit. To honor the town, the state of Utah built a replacement rest area about 2 miles (3.2 km) downstream from Tucker, called the Tie Fork Rest Area.
Tucker started as a simple railroad junction, between the main line of the D&RGW railroad and the spur of the Utah and Pleasant Valley Railway, which extended to mines at Winter Quarters (near today’s Scofield Reservoir). When a station was built here to house the helper engines used to push freight trains over Soldier Summit, it quickly grew into a town with a population of 500, called Clear Creek. (The current community of Clear Creek, Utah, population 4, is located several miles south of the former site of Tucker.)
Tucker came to an end in 1913, when the railroad re-aligned the tracks to reduce the grade up to Soldier Summit from a dangerous 4% grade, to a more manageable 2.0%. With the new alignment, the branch to Scofield was completely re-routed to branch from the main near Colton. The new alignment bypassed and abandoned the town of Tucker and an area called Gilluly, although the new alignment was often called the Gilluly loops or Gilluly horseshoe curves, due to the circuitous route it took up the hill. The railroad filled in much of the location to lift the road bed far above the valley floor. All the buildings are gone, and even most of the old railroad grade is covered by the fill. When U.S. Route 50, the predecessor of the modern U.S. Route 6, was paved in the 1920s, the old railroad alignment was used for the highway. In 1969, the state used the site of the town to build a rest area near modern mile post 204. Aside from a plaque at the facility, there was no sign that the roadside rest stop sat on top of a ghost town.
Clear Creek, as it then was known, had a boarding house, company store, and saloon, and dozens of hastily constructed houses filled the small valley. From 1881 to 1919 it also had a post office. By 1900 its name was changed to Tucker, for a certain James Tucker.