Latitude / Longitude:
61°29′10″N 142°53′19″W / 61.48611°N 142.88861°W / 61.48611
Alaska (AKST) (UTC-9)
In the summer of 1900, two prospectors, “Tarantula” Jack Smith and Clarence L. Warner, a group of prospectors associated with the McClellan party, spotted “a green patch far above them in an improbable location for a grass-green meadow.” The green turned out to be malachite, located with chalcocite (aka “copper glance”), and the location of the Bonanza claim. A few days later, Arthur Coe Spencer, U.S. Geological Survey geologist independently found chalcocite at the same location
Kennecott, also known as Kennicott and Kennecott Mines, is an abandoned mining camp in the Valdez-Cordova Census Area in the U.S. state of Alaska that was the center of activity for several copper mines. It is located beside the Kennicott Glacier, northeast of Valdez, inside Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve. The camp and mines are now a National Historic Landmark District administered by the National Park Service.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1986