Latitude / Longitude:
61° 34′ 4 N, 161° 51′ 49 W
Alaska (AKST) (UTC-9)
Ohagamiut (Urr’agmiut in Central Alaskan Yup’ik) was a Yup’ik village along the Kuskokwim River in the Bethel Census Area of the southwestern part of the U.S. state of Alaska, located between Crow Village and Kalskag. It was abandoned in the 1940s as residents relocated to Kalskag, Aniak, Bethel and other towns. Ohagamiut is sometimes confused with another Yup’ik village on the Yukon River called Ohogamiut.
Ohagamiut has also been called Okhogamute. The first reference to the village comes from Russian explorers who traveled down the Kuskokwim River in 1818. The first Roman Catholic mission in western Alaska was established at Ohagamuit in 1892. The first census of Alaska completed in 1884 by Ivan Petrof showed Okhogamute having a population of 130.