Latitude / Longitude:
35°02′31″N 110°41′04″W / 35.04194°N 110.68444°W / 35.04194 -110.68444
4,895 ft (1,492 m)
Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Brigham City is a ghost town in Navajo County, Arizona, United States. Founded by Latter-day Saints near the present city of Winslow in 1876, it was one and one-half miles north of Winslow’s current city center, along the Little Colorado River. It was organized as a Latter-Day Saints ward in 1878, but by 1881 it had been abandoned.
Twenty Mormon families and fifteen bachelors from Salt Lake City settled the area, and built homes inside protective walls originally measuring 200 feet (61 m) long and 7 feet (2.1 m) high. Flash flooding that washed away the dams and irrigation systems led to crop failures and caused the abandonment of the town by 1881.
Brigham City was added to the National Register of Historic Places as of June 9, 1978, and the remnants are currently undergoing restoration. Only one of the communities’ buildings and portions of the encircling wall remain.