Latitude / Longitude:
34°12′20″N 112°20′19″W / 34.20556°N 112.33861°W / 34.20556
5,771 ft (1,759 m)
Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
The site of a former gold mining town, Crown King is 28 miles west of Interstate 17 on Senator Highway, high in the Bradshaw Mountains. The community is named after the Crowned King mine, but the name was shortened to Crown King in 1888. Horsethief Basin Lake resides 6.5 miles southeast of Crown King on Crown King Rd/Forest 259 Rd.
The red one-room schoolhouse was built in 1917 and still serves a small number of K-8 students. High school students typically leave town to attend class 14 miles away in Mayer.
May 15, 1954
Of the buildings still standing and in use in Crown King, the Crown King Saloon has maintained its place as the center of activity in town. The Saloon was originally constructed and operated in the nearby mining town of Oro Belle (now also a ghost town). In 1910, It was disassembled and brought to Crown King piece by piece after the mine at Oro Belle had played out. The building was home to a brothel and bar in both towns and now serves the public as a hotel, cafe, and bar.
The post office was established on July 29, 1888, and was discontinued on May 15, 1954. It has since reopened inside the Crown King General Store.