Latitude / Longitude:
31°59′59″N 110°34′46″W / 31.99972°N 110.57944°W / 31.99972
3,553 ft (1,083 m)
Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Pantano (English: “Marsh”) is a populated place located in eastern Pima County, Arizona, near the town of Vail. It was originally a mail and stagecoach stop named Ciénega Station, after the nearby Ciénega Creek, and later grew into a small railroad town with the arrival of the Southern Pacific in 1880.
Ciénega Station was established by the Butterfield Overland Mail company in 1858. Built over the site of a Hohokam village, the station and later town went by many names over the years, including Pantano Station, Marsh Station, Tulleyville, and Empire. In the early days, hostile Apaches were a constant problem.