Latitude / Longitude:
31°54′15″N 111°04′00″W / 31.90417°N 111.06667°W / 31.90417 -111.06667
Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Twin Buttes is a populated place on the east flank of the Sierrita Mountains about twenty miles south of Tucson, in Pima County, Arizona. Named after a prominent hill located next to the town, Twin Buttes was founded as a small mining town around 1903 and abandoned around 1930.
Although the town died, operations at the Twin Buttes Mine continued for the next several decades until 1994, when the mine was closed. In 2009 Freeport McMoRan acquired the property and has since recommenced mining operations.
December 29, 1906
August 15, 1930
Much of the actual town site is now buried underneath mine tailings, and all that remains is the Twin Buttes Cemetery.