Latitude / Longitude:
34° 2′ 37 N, 93° 41′ 21 W
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
The incorporated town of Kimberly, a sparsely inhabited area on the south side of Murfreesboro, Arkansas, began in late 1908 as an ill-fated land-development project spanning almost 240 acres (0.97 km2). At the time, the recently discovered Arkansas diamond field was still generating a speculative heyday, and the enterprising property owner, Millard M. (M. M.) Mauney, envisioned a dynamic settlement based upon a future mining industry. His location was perfect. The diamond field lay only a half-mile away. The planned extension of a railroad into Murfreesboro from the southwest would cut through Kimberly, facilitating investments and development.
Today, the former Kimberly addition consists of about a dozen modern homes along State Highway 301 – the “Diamond Mine Road” which passes through Crater of Diamonds State Park.
Incorporated into Murfreesboro