Latitude / Longitude:
6,080 ft (1,850 m)
Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)
About 14 air miles (22 km) east-northeast of present-day Riggins in remote north central Idaho, it was settled as a mining camp in the winter of 1861.Then in Washington Territory, the town quickly became the seat of a new Idaho County and the rich placer gold fields in the Florence Basin attracted thousands of prospectors to the area, contributing to the establishment of the Idaho Territory in 1863.
Population History; 1864 census: 254 (222 men, 11 women, 21 children), 1863 census: 575.
Intensive mining depleted the richest ground and the county seat moved elsewhere in 1869. The town thrived again from 1895–1900, based more on lode mining. Then the town slowly faded away, having only ten inhabitants in 1940, and was totally abandoned sometime after 1951.