Latitude / Longitude:
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Millville was initially established in 1835 along the northern Chicago-Galena stagecoach route, a roadway today known as the Stagecoach Trail. John R. Smith and the Burbridge family were responsible for the village’s first buildings and a saw mill was erected between 1835–36. It developed as an important rural service stop along that stagecoach route. Millville was significant in the early history of Jo Daviess County, serving as a civic and commercial hub from 1838–53. According to 1878’s The History of Jo Daviess County, Illinois the town itself was platted on April 14, 1846 within Rush Township by John R. Smith. The town’s fate was sealed by a June 1892 flood which reportedly swept away all of the town’s remaining buildings, leaving no trace of Millville in its wake. Heavy rains swelled the pond at the Cox Mill, ¼ mile from Millville, causing the mill dam to burst. The mill pond waters tore down Clear Creek and poured into the South Fork Apple River, rushing toward Millville. The town’s buildings, unable to withstand the deluge, were swept away by the violent river.
Millville is a defunct settlement in Jo Daviess County, Illinois, United States, located within the boundaries of Apple River Canyon State Park. Founded in 1835 and platted in 1846, the community was washed away completely by a flood in 1892.
Community Washed away completely 1892
No visible remnants of its structures remain today. The site of Millville was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places as the Millville Town Site in 2003.
Metal detectors and artifact removal are not allowed, and the town site is protected by state and federal law.