Latitude / Longitude:
40° 24′ 49.05 N, 90° 18′ 8.84 W
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Tuscumbia is a ghost town in Bernadotte Township, Fulton County, Illinois, USA that sprang up in the township and was platted by Wade Hampton on 2 March 1837.
Illinois was experiencing rapid settlement during the time of the settlement, and the timeframe of Tuscumbia coincides with the career of Abraham Lincoln. In 1838, Lincoln visited the county seat Lewistown nine miles east of the Tuscumbia area extending the range of his law practice. A Lincoln-Douglas debate occurred in August 1858 in Lewistown.
March 2, 1837
It consisted of 54 lots. It flourished for a while and had a school, but by 1855 was abandoned. A sign on County Road 14, known as the Bernadotte blacktop, nine miles west of Lewistown, Illinois, is the only remnant.