Province of South Carolina
Latitude / Longitude:
32° 56′ 53 N, 80° 10′ 11 W
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Dorchester was a town in the Province of South Carolina. Situated on the Ashley River about 18 miles (29 km) from Charleston, it was founded in February 1696 by the followers of Reverend Joseph Lord from Dorchester, Massachusetts, who gave it the same name as the town from which they had emigrated (which was in turn named after the English town Dorchester).
The ruins of the Old White Meeting House and its cemetery are owned and maintained by its successor congregation, Summerville Presbyterian Church.
Dorchester was abandoned in 1751.
The town was located near the mouths of Dorchester Creek and Eagle’s Creek (Named for Richard Eagle, who bought the land where a road crossed the creek around 1734), where they flowed into the Ashley. To the local Native Americans, this region, especially the land between the two mouths, was referred to as Boo-shoo-ee. It is unknown what exactly the name meant, although the -ee suffix probably referred to water, given that nearly all other names ending in -ee referred to a water feature.