Piedmont

Name:

Piedmont

County:

Uinta

Zip Code:

 

Latitude / Longitude:

41°13′4″N 110°37′40″W / 41.21778°N 110.62778°W / 41.21778

Elevation:

 

Time Zone:

Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)

Comments:

Piedmont is a ghost town located in Uinta County, Wyoming. It was once a thriving small railroad and timber town, but started to decline when Union Pacific opened a new line that bypassed the town. Piedmont is located at 41°13’4.04″ North, 110°37’40.02″ West (41.21779, -110.62778). Many sources will provide other coordinates for this town, but they usually point to Ft. Bridger, Wyoming, which is the nearest city.

Remains:

Piedmont, located southeast of Evanston, was settled about 1867 to provide railroad ties for the Union Pacific Railroad. Moses Byrne built several kilns here for producing charcoal, and Charles Guild established one of the first ranches in the Territory. Both Byrne and Guild were Mormon pioneers. Originally, the area was named “Byrne,” but due to confusion with Bryan Station was renamed Piedmont. Both Byrne’s wives, Anne Beus and Catherine Cardon, and Guild’s wife, Marie Madeleine Cardon, were from small towns in the Torino Province, part of the Piedmont Region of northern Italy. Moses’ wife Anne Beus lived in Ogden, Utah, and his other wife Catherine Cardon eventually ended up living in Piedmont, after first having spent time in the Utah towns of Ogden and Slaterville. Most historical sources that reference both ‘Mrs. Byrne’ and Piedmont are taken to be referring to Catherine Cardon. Catherine Cardon Byrne and Marie Madelaine Cardon Guild were sisters.

Established:

 

Disestablished:

 

Current Status:

In 1940, lack of business forced the closing of the old Guild Mercantile Store. Since then, most of the buildings have been hauled away. All that remains are three or four tumbledown remnants of homes, some foundations, the coal dump where the engine shed once stood, the charcoal kilns of Moses Byrne, and the cemeteries.

Remarks:

Piedmont, a typical tent camp for the railroad, probably at this time knew its greatest population; yet there is evidence of only approximately twenty homes. The tent town served as a base camp for the graders who were constructing a roadbed up the steep side of the mountain to the summit called Aspen Station. About 1910, the Union Pacific Railroad began digging the Aspen tunnel through Aspen mountain. The completion of the tunnel—approximately one and one-half miles long—resulted in the elimination of the steep, winding grade from Piedmont to Aspen Station. The railroad was rerouted from LeRoy to the tunnel, missing Piedmont by several miles. Piedmont was stranded, and its demise began.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *