Latitude / Longitude:
34°42′40″N 85°56′43″W / 34.71111°N 85.94528°W / 34.71111 -85.94528
745 ft (227 m)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Bellefonte is a ghost town in Jackson County, Alabama, United States, near the site of the Bellefonte Nuclear Generating Station. It is located roughly two miles southeast of Hollywood, Alabama.
Bellefonte was listed on the 1860 & 1870 U.S. Census rolls. In 1860, it was the most populous (and only) incorporated community in Jackson County with 181 persons (of whom 173 were White, and 8 were “Free Colored”, with no slaves). After its loss as county seat in 1868, it rapidly lost population and dropped off the census rolls by 1880.
Bellefonte was settled in the early 19th century and incorporated on December 15, 1821, when it had nearly 200 residents. Its name was a subjective description consisting of the French words “belle”, meaning “beautiful,” and “fonte”, meaning “fount.” It was the Jackson County seat from 1821 to 1868, when it was relocated to Scottsboro.
During the following decade, a post office, courthouse, and church were constructed. A post office was established in 1830. By 1844, the population had grown to 400. The town suffered severe damage during the Civil War. The post office was closed in 1859, and the entire town was abandoned by the 1920s. All that remains of Bellefonte today are the cemetery, the chimney of the local inn, and piles of scattered bricks.
Former county seat of Jackson County