Latitude / Longitude:
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Fort McClellan, originally Camp McClellan, was a United States Army post located adjacent to the city of Anniston, Alabama established as Camp Shipp in 1898. During World War II, it was one of the largest U.S. Army installations, training an estimated half-million troops. After the war and until it was closed in 1999, Fort McClellan was home of the Chemical Corps and a Chemical Corps School, which trained soldiers in chemical warfare and used them in human experiments. Storage, use and disposal of chemical weapons and waste contaminated soil and water supply and exposed the population. Prior to its closure by BRAC the base employed about 10,000 military personnel, half of whom were permanently assigned, and about 1,500 civilians. The base has never been classified as a Superfund site; it underwent UXO clean up from 2003–14.
Since 2010, about 3,000 acres of the brownfield have been redeveloped as mixed-use community.
Former army base outside of Anniston