Latitude / Longitude:
34°54′58″N 110°19′24.8″W / 34.91611°N 110.323556°W / 34.91611
5,023 ft (1,531 m)
Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Obed, Arizona was a town in Navajo County, Arizona located approximately three miles south of Joseph City, Arizona. It was settled in 1876 by a group of Latter-day Saints under the direction of George Lake.
The settlers built a fort that was twelve rods square with walls that were ten feet high. It had bastions, with portholes for defense at two corners and additional portholes in the surrounding walls. The camp consisted of 123 members, which included John Bloomfield and his wife and nine children. Cottonwood was sawed for lumber. The community had a school house in January 1877 and a denominational school was started the next month, with Phoebe McNeal as teacher.
Numerous problems plagued the settlement. The site was malarial, was selected against LDS Church instruction, and had trouble with brush and log dams washing away. The population took chills and fever and finally abandoned the settlement in March 1877.