Latitude / Longitude:
34°21′54″N 110°38′44″W / 34.36500°N 110.64556°W / 34.36500
6,709 ft (2,045 m)
Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Wilford, Arizona was a town in Navajo County, Arizona located approximately 7 miles south of Heber, along Black Canyon Rd. During the 1880s, discouraged Little Colorado River settlers began migrating to the forests of the Mogollon Rim. The town of Wilford was settled in April 1883 by a group of Latter-day Saints from the failed Brigham City settlement. Originally called “Adam’s Valley”, after founder (Jerome Jefferson Adams), the name was changed to “Wilford”, President Wilford Woodruff, fourth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), at a quarterly stake conference in August 1883.
Numerous families abandoned the settlement at this time. Some residents relocated to nearby Heber, while others joined their friends in Mexico. Wilford ceased being a town by 1889; then consisting of sparsely populated ranches. The last residents moved out in 1926.
Today, loose rock foundations are the only physical evidence of the former settlement.
By 1888, due to years of overgrazing by the cattle of the Aztec Land & Cattle Company, most of the grassy meadows had become eroded washes.