Latitude / Longitude:
34°02′31″N 117°21′50″W / 34.04194°N 117.36389°W / 34.04194 -117.36389
922 ft (281 m)
Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)
Agua Mansa (“gentle water”) is a former settlement in an unincorporated area of San Bernardino County, near Colton, California, United States.
The town was established in 1845 in Mexican Alta California. It was on the Santa Ana River, across from the Mexican era settlement of La Placita. Agua Mansa and La Placita were the first non-native settlements in the San Bernardino Valley. Together known as “San Salvador”, they were also the largest settlements between Santa Fe de Nuevo México and the Pueblo de Los Ángeles in the 1840s.
Now a ghost town, only the cemetery remains, it once was the largest settlement in San Bernardino County.
In 1845, Don Juan Bandini donated parts of his land grant Rancho Jurupa to a group of Mexican colonists from Abiquiú in Santa Fe de Nuevo México — on the condition that they would assist in protecting his stock from local Indian raids. Ten of these families moved to 2,000 acres (810 ha) on the “Bandini Donation” on the east side of the Santa Ana River, forming the village of La Placita, while a second group colonized the west side of the river, forming the town of Agua Mansa. The group that formed Agua Mansa was led by Don Jose Tomas Salajar, and included Cristobal Slover and Louis Rubidoux.