Latitude / Longitude:
36°10′46″N 116°36′59″W / 36.17944°N 116.61639°W / 36.17944 -116.61639
4,288 ft (1,307 m)
Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)
Greenwater – formerly, Ramsey, The Camp, and Kunze – was an unincorporated community near Death Valley in eastern Inyo County, California. It is now a deserted ghost town. Greenwater was a mining town in the Mojave Desert that saw its rise and fall within the first decade of the 20th century.
The original townsite, 2 miles (3.2 km) west of the current site and called Kunze after its founder Arthur Kunze, was abandoned in favor of the current site, which was originally called Ramsey. A post office operated at Greenwater from 1906 to 1908.
Eventually the town grew to 2,000 people and became known for a local magazine, The Death Valley Chuckwalla. By 1909 the copper mining had collapsed without ever turning a profit and the residents left town for other areas. Today, there is nothing left of Greenwater.
Founded around a copper ore strike in 1905 the town of Greenwater was a short lived Death Valley community. So dry was its region that water had to be hauled into the town. The lucrative business of water barrel salesman fetched any entrepreneur $15 per barrel; in 1913 that equaled over $250 in 2004 dollars.