Latitude / Longitude:
Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)
Hamilton is a former settlement in Butte County, California, United States, and was its first permanent county seat. It was located on the west side of the Feather River, 15 miles (24 km) downstream from Oroville.
John Bidwell discovered gold at Hamilton in 1848, and the settlement arose. The place was named Hamilton in honor of the nephew of Alexander Hamilton who laid out the town. Hamilton became the county seat in 1850, after Chico had been the county seat, for approximately six weeks in 1850, based on a provision in the 1850 statute creating counties that Butte’s seat would be Butte City or Chico, whichever was chosen by the voters at the first election for county judges.
All that is visible from this old town is an overgrown cemetery and the pillars of an old bridge.