Ghost Towns of Maine

Maine State Flag

Askwith

County: Piscataquis
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 45°36′58″N 69°50′20″W / 45.616°N 69.839°W / 45.616
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Askwith is a ghost town located in Piscataquis County, Maine, United States. Between the towns of Greenville and Rockwood, specifically near Misery Knob, the town had at one time a post office.
Remains: In 1895 there were no post offices, nor were there express offices; however there was a railroad.
Current Status: Askwith has since been renamed to ‘Tarratine’ and discontinued as a railroad station. The railroad that once ran through it has been converted into an ATV trail.
Remarks:

Flagstaff

County: Somerset
Zip Code: 
Latitude / Longitude: 45°11′38.9″N 70°18′52.4″W / 45.194139°N 70.314556°W / 45.194139
Elevation: 1,146 feet (349 m)
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Submerged To Form Flagstaff Lake. Flagstaff Lake is located in Somerset County and Franklin County, Maine in the United States. The North Branch Dead River and South Branch Dead River join in the lake, forming the Dead River.
Remains: The lake’s surface area is 20,300 acres (82 km2), and it has a storage capacity of about 275,482 acre-feet. It is extremely shallow (more so during drought years). Its deepest point is 48 feet (15 m). Landlocked salmon and brook trout can be caught. Some points on the lake are very marshy and have to be negotiated with a canoe or kayak; even then, wading may be necessary for the marshy areas to get through to the rest of the lake.
Current Status: Flagstaff Lake was a smaller natural lake when the Long Falls Dam impounded the Dead River in 1950, enlarging the lake and turning it into a reservoir used for hydropower electricity production by regulating the flow of the Dead River into the Kennebec River. At the time, the river drive was still a primary means of delivering timber to the pulp mills downstream. Improved highways and the trucking industry have replaced the river drive.
Remarks: The dam is 45 feet high, 1339 feet long at its crest, and consists of a 450-foot concrete spillway, a 125-foot-long concrete section containing five 20-foot-wide Tainter gates, a 70-foot-long concrete section containing two Broome gates, a fishway, and a log sluice, and a 694-foot-long earthen dike. The dam is owned and operated by NextEra Energy, but no electricity is generated here. The dam is operated to regulate and augment flows that are used by eight downstream mainstem Kennebec River hydropower projects, and to control flooding.

Perkins Township (Swan Island)

County: Sagadahoc
Zip Code: 
Latitude / Longitude: 45°11′38.9″N 70°18′52.4″W / 45.194139°N 70.314556°W / 45.194139
Elevation: 
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established: 
Disestablished: 
Comments: Perkins Township (Swan Island) is an unorganized territory in Sagadahoc County, Maine, United States. Originally incorporated as the town of Perkins, it has been uninhabited since being abandoned by the 1940s.
Remains: The township comprises Swan Island, Little Swan Island, and some tidal flats – all within the Kennebec River between the towns of Richmond and Dresden. The Swan Island Historic District comprises most of the township, with 8 buildings, 5 structures, and 1,500 acres (610 ha). Some of the buildings date to the 1750s. The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. The entire township is now protected as the Steve Powell Wildlife Management Area and is under the jurisdiction of the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. Camping, hunting, fishing, and wildlife viewing are permitted between May and October; reservations are required.
Current Status: Besides the town government, the town also had a schoolhouse and cemetery. However the town was disincorporated in 1918, so it became a township managed by the state. By the mid-1940s the Great Depression and ongoing pollution of the Kennebec River led to the decline of the island’s industries and the island was abandoned. Little was done until the 1990s when efforts were made to protect some of the buildings, a process that is ongoing.
Remarks: The town of Perkins was incorporated in the mid-19th century and then disincorporated in 1918. During the 19th century, the town was a community of almost 100 residents who under-took shipbuilding, farming, and ice harvesting. The island also attracted summer residents who built summer homes, and its most famous summer resident was Thomas Handasyd Perkins. The town was named for him when it was incorporated in the mid-19th century after he paid for its incorporation.