Ghost Towns of Vermont

Ghost Towns Of Vermont, United States Ghost Towns

Glastenbury

County: Bennington
Zip Code: 
Latitude / Longitude: 43° 0′ 1 N, 73° 4′ 58 W
Elevation: 
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established: 1761
Disestablished: 1937
Comments: Glastenbury is a town in Bennington County, Vermont, United States. The town was unincorporated by an act of the state legislature in 1937 and is now essentially a ghost town. The population was eight at the 2010 census. Along with Somerset, Glastenbury is one of two Vermont towns where the population levels have dropped so low that the town is unincorporated. The town has no local government and the town’s affairs are handled by a state-appointed supervisor.
Remains: Despite the many hardships that greeted Glastenbury settlers, newcomers continued to arrive in small numbers, and the population grew slowly to 76 in 1810. But the years following 1810 were hard ones for all of Vermont, and by 1840 there were only 53 left in Glastenbury. After the Civil War, Glastenbury finally began to experience more rapid growth. Business interests in nearby Bennington were eager to take advantage of the vast timber resources there, and by 1872 had finally begun construction on a railroad (trolley) that ran up the mountain. The line ran along Bolles Brook and terminated at the place where the brook forked. It was an improbable achievement, with some parts of the line climbing as much as 250 feet (76 m) in altitude per mile. Remains of the old trolley tracks can still be seen today.
Current Status: unincorporated
Remarks: Glastenbury was first chartered in 1761 by New Hampshire Governor Benning Wentworth, but settlers did not begin trickling into this rocky, forbidding mountainous area for some years after. At the time of Vermont’s first census as a new state in 1791, only six families inhabited it. These first settlers found life on Glastenbury Mountain difficult, as would residents ever after, and by 1800 they had been replaced by eight entirely different families. Of these eight, only three would stay on until the next census ten years later, and only one of these would remain in later decades

Lewiston

County: Windsor
Zip Code: 
Latitude / Longitude: 43° 42′ 14 N, 72° 18′ 2 W
Elevation: 387 ft
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established: 1765
Disestablished: 
Comments: Lewiston is a former village in the town of Norwich, Windsor County, Vermont, United States. Settlers first arrived in that area in 1765; the village’s namesake, Dr. Joseph Lewis, arrived two years later. Since the late 19th century, the village was centered on a rail station that was used by both Norwich and the town directly across the Connecticut River, Hanover, New Hampshire.
Remains: In 1950 lower-lying farm areas were flooded when the Wilder Dam was constructed downstream. In 1967, almost all of Lewiston was razed to make way for Interstate 91 and its access road from Hanover. The railroad, a Dartmouth College-owned pottery studio (in the house once owned by Dr. Joseph Lewis), and a small road off McKenna Road, Lewiston Hill Road, make up some of the areas where the center of the village of Lewiston was situated. Many of the buildings in that area are now owned by Dartmouth College.
Current Status: The railroad remains today, though the station is not used for its original purpose.
Remarks: Because of the rail station, built-in 1884, Lewiston became important to surrounding towns on both sides of the Connecticut River and to Dartmouth College in Hanover. The coal that Dartmouth used to heat its buildings came through this station. By the 1920s, however, the economic importance of Lewiston to the neighboring regions decreased. Dartmouth began using oil instead of coal, and all the mills in Lewiston were gone by 1930.

Plymouth Five Corner

County: 
Zip Code: 
Latitude / Longitude: 
Elevation: 
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established: 
Disestablished: 
Comments: 
Remains: 
Current Status: 
Remarks: 

Ricker Basin

County: 
Zip Code: 
Latitude / Longitude: 
Elevation: 
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established: 
Disestablished: 
Comments: 
Remains: 
Current Status: 
Remarks: 

Smith Family Farms

County: 
Zip Code: 
Latitude / Longitude: 43.038234°N 77.240893°W
Elevation: 
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5) 
Established: 1820s
Disestablished: 
Comments: The Smith Family Farm was the boyhood home of Joseph Smith, the founder of the Latter Day Saint movement. The farm—located in the townships of Palmyra, Wayne County, and Manchester, Ontario County, New York—includes the Sacred Grove, the Smiths’ restored frame home, and a reconstructed log home. The farm site passed into the ownership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) in 1916, and in the 1990s, the church restored the frame home, reconstructed the log home, and built a welcome center. Church missionaries provide free tours.
Remains: The farm was purchased by the LDS Church in 1907 and passed into its care in 1916. The instigator of the purchase was LDS Church president Joseph F. Smith, who “successfully reframed the L.D.S. church’s sense of its past, shaping its history onto the American terrain and directing his people’s attention beyond the Rocky Mountains to where he believed their future lay.” The grove of trees on the site where Joseph Smith was assumed to have had his First Vision became a pilgrimage site and centennial celebrations were held there in 1920.
Current Status: 
Remarks: Joseph Smith, Sr., his wife Lucy Mack Smith, and some of their children moved from Norwich, Vermont, to Palmyra, New York, in 1816. In 1818 or 1819, the family built a log home near property owned by the estate of Nicholas Evertson of New York City but did not enter a purchase agreement for the land until a land agent had been appointed in 1820. Smith, Sr. agreed to pay the Evertson estate between $600 and 700 for the 100-acre (0.4 km2) farm. In 1825, the family moved into a larger and more comfortable frame home that they had built on the property but were unable to make payments on the land. A carpenter who had completed the house sued the Smiths for his costs in February 1825. A new agent for the Evertson estate also foreclosed on them, although a sympathetic Quaker, Lemuel Durfee, purchased the farm and permitted the family to rent the frame house until they returned to the log home in the spring of 1829. The Smiths left the area in 1830.

Somerset

County: Windham
Zip Code: 
Latitude / Longitude: 
42°58′00″N 72°58′00″W / 42.96667°N 72.96667°W / 42.96667
Elevation: 2,000 ft (610 m)
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established: 1761
Disestablished: 1937
Comments: Somerset is an unincorporated township and former town in Windham County, Vermont, United States. As of the 2000 census, it had a total population of 5, which was reported to have dropped to two in 2011. Somerset is one of five unincorporated towns in Vermont, having been disincorporated in 1937. The town has no local government and the town’s affairs are handled by a state-appointed supervisor.
Remains: 
Current Status: 
unincorporated
Remarks: On March 5, 1947, Somerset had 78 inches (200 cm) of snow on the ground, the greatest daily snow depth for any location anywhere in Vermont.

Tyson Furnace

County: 
Zip Code: 
Latitude / Longitude: 
Elevation: 
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established: 
Disestablished: 
Comments: 
Remains: 
Current Status: 
Remarks: 

How Many Ghost Towns Are In Vermont?