Latitude / Longitude:
45° 16′ 37.2″ N, 115° 54′ 50.4″ W
6,115 ft (1,864 m)
Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)
Burgdorf is an unincorporated community in Idaho County, Idaho, United States, located approximately 30 miles (50 km) north of McCall at an elevation of 6,115 feet (1,864 m) above sea level. Originally a sacred site for Native Americans, its hot springs were discovered by unknown Chinese miners and settled by young German immigrant Fred C. Burgdorf in the late 1860s. Burgdorf had mined in nearby Warren to the east and turned the area at the hot springs into a resort by 1870.
Following a new mining rush in 1898 at Thunder Gulch, the resort was refurbished and expanded in 1902 by Burgdorf and his new young wife, a singer from Denver named Janette Foronsard. Originally known as “Resort,” it became “Burgdorf” at this time, but the former name continued in usage for several years. Following Janette’s death in 1923, Burgdorf sold his interest and moved to Weiser.
Much of the community has now been deserted, although reconstruction has been attempted. The community possessed a post office as late as 1945, although it has since been closed.
In 1972, the community was added as a historic district to the National Register of Historic Places. Basketball coach George Karl was once part owner of Burgdorf.