Latitude / Longitude:
42° 41′ 21″ N, 82° 49′ 19″ W
607 ft (185 m)
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Milton is located at Gratiot Avenue and 24 Mile Road (42°41’21″N 82°49’19″W; Elevation: 607 ft./185 m.) and once was a station on the Grand Trunk Railroad. The first post office in the township was established here in 1837 in the house of Robert O. Milton, with the name of “New Haven Post Office”. This was moved to New Haven and Alfred D. Rice established another post office in Milton. That post office closed at some point and another was reopened in January 1856 with Edmund Matthews as postmaster. This office operated until July 1904. Milton was home to a school, three churches, a doctor, a blacksmith, and a couple of saloons.
The last saloon survived until 2004 when it was torn down, at that time it was known as the “Teddy Bear Bar.” The school, known as Milton School, was incorporated into another building which was torn down in 2002.