Latitude / Longitude:
42°40′57.9″N 123°19′49.5″W / 42.682750°N 123.330417°W / 42.682750 -123.330417
Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)
Golden is an abandoned mining town located at Coyote Creek in Josephine County, Oregon, United States.
Coyote Creek was first settled in the late 1840s when gold was discovered. However, most of the settlers left when gold was found in the nearby Salmon River in 1850. The abandoned town was eventually used by Chinese miners, who took over the abandoned mines. Several years later, they were driven out as the previous occupants returned from the Salmon River.
A hydraulic mine was built, and in 1885, a schoolhouse was built about a 1/2-mile (0.80 km) downstream from Golden. By 1892, over 150 people lived along Coyote Creek. A Campbellite church and general store were constructed, and in 1896 the Golden post office established. In 1915, a stamp mill was built. In 1920, the post office closed. The church was rebuilt in 1950. The general store, carriage house, and several homes are still standing today.
The Golden Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As of 2011, Golden has become an Oregon State Heritage Site.