Latitude / Longitude:
36°28′41″N 90°9′32″W / 36.47806°N 90.15889°W / 36.47806
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Chalk Bluff was an unincorporated community in Clay County, Arkansas, United States, approximately 2 mi (3 km) northwest of St. Francis, Arkansas. The town was formed in the 1820s at the point where the St. Francis River cuts through Crowley’s Ridge from west to east. The name of the community was derived from the white clay bluff created by this crossing. The founder of the community was Abraham Seitz who established and operated a ferry crossing and general store in the area from the 1830 until it was destroyed during the American Civil War. The community occupied a strategic location and was often referred to in the reports of Union and Confederate forces vying for control of Northeast Arkansas during the war. The crossing was the site of several skirmishes, the most significant being the May 1–3, 1863 Battle of Chalk Bluff.
The town was abandoned following the Civil War and most residents moved to the new railroad town, St. Francis, Arkansas. The location was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.