Latitude / Longitude:
40°18′17″N 87°15′30″W / 40.30472°N 87.25833°W / 40.30472
Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Warrenton is an extinct town in Warren Township, Warren County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. It was the county’s original county seat.
Warrenton was selected as the Warren County seat in March 1828 by commissioners appointed under the act forming the county. It was laid out “on the east fraction of the southwest quarter of Section 31, Township 22 north, Range 7 west,” which today is in the extreme southwestern corner of Warren Township, a little over two miles (3 km) northeast of the current county seat of Williamsport. The site overlooks the confluence of Big Pine Creek with the Wabash River.
Very few improvements were ever made to the lots at Warrenton and it quickly faded away. No evidence of the town remains at the site.