Latitude / Longitude:
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Catholicism came to the area that would become Riverside in 1846 when the Rev. John Alleman organized a parish named St. Vincent two miles west of the present town of Riverside, near the English River. With the help of the Schnoebalen and Edelstein families, he built a log church and laid out a townsite which was named Strassburg. Riverside was established after the Muscatine Western Railroad built a line in 1872 from Muscatine that passed along the north side of the English River.
A small town named Yatton had been laid out south of the river in 1856.
The townspeople moved across the river to be near the railroad and joined others in the establishing Riverside. As the number of German and Irish Catholics increased in Riverside it was decided to build a church in town.