Ghost Towns of Florida (A-C)

Great Seal of The State of Florida In God We Trust

Acron

County: Lake
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 29° 0′ 6″ N, 81° 31′ 12″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Acron was a town in eastern Lake County, Florida, established during the late 19th century, near Paisley. It is best known as the town where Flora Call and Elias Disney, the parents of Walt Disney, and Roy O. Disney lived for a short time after they were married in nearby Kismet on New Year’s Day, 1888. The location, probably at or near 29°0.1’N 81°31.2’W which is just northeast of Lake Akron, is about forty miles (65 km) due north of what is now the Walt Disney World Resort. Acron is now a ghost town.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Acton

County: Polk
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 28° 3′ 12″ N, 81° 56′ 0″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Acton was a town in Polk County, Florida, United States. The town was situated two miles east of Lakeland.
Remains: Acton was platted in 1884, and named for Lord Acton. A post office was established at Acton in 1884, and remained in operation until 1889. With the construction of the railroad, business activity shifted to nearby Lakeland, and the town’s population dwindled.
Current Status:
Remarks:

Agricola

County: Polk
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 27°47′16″N 81°53′29″W / 27.78778°N 81.89139°W / 27.78778
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Agricola was a town in Polk County, Florida. The town was situated 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) south-west of Bartow.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Aladdin City

County: Miami-Dade
Zip Code: 33187
Latitude / Longitude: 25°34′1.37″N 80°27′13.85″W / 25.5670472°N 80.4538472°W / 25.5670472
Elevation: 10 ft (3 m)
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Aladdin City is an unincorporated community in Miami-Dade County, Florida, United States. It is located about 20 miles (32 km) southwest of Miami within the unincorporated community of Redland. It is notable as the site of a planned community—similar to Opa-locka, Coral Gables, and Miami Springs, Florida—whose development was snuffed out by the abrupt end of the Florida land boom of the 1920s.
Remains: In late 1925, The Aladdin Company of Bay City, Michigan, a pioneer in the manufacture of mail-order “kit” homes, purchased a large parcel of land in the Redland area. Otto and William Sovereign, the founders of the company, began to build a Moorish-themed city made up primarily of buildings featured in their 1920 industrial catalog. It was planned to have a population of 10,000.
Current Status: A couple of the Aladdin homes survived over the years, but without the community and the commercial buildings, which remained on the drawing board. The last of these homes reportedly suffered severe damage in Hurricane Andrew in 1992. The wooden train station—unique among Seaboard stations in South Florida, which were routinely constructed out of stucco or concrete—was reported to be still standing as of 1985, but was apparently torn down after suffering damage from Hurricane Andrew.
Remarks: After forming the Aladdin City Sales Co. in December 1925, the Sovereign brothers promoted the building of a “dawn-to-dusk” house on opening day on January 14, 1926, flying in all of the materials on six chartered aircraft from Fort Lauderdale on that single day. The Homestead Leader reported that hundreds of spectators gathered to watch the aircraft shuttle in the materials and to watch the crew of 21 carpenters, plasters, electricians, plumbers, and cement workers put up the house. Construction of the house commenced at 7:00 a.m., and was finished at dark, complete with electricity, plumbing, sidewalks, and landscaping. A few days later, an advertisement in the Miami News boasted that 874 homesites had been sold on opening day.

Allenhurst

County: Brevard
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 28° 44′ 15.44″ N, 80° 45′ 20.65″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Allenhurst was a community in Brevard County. The town was demolished and residents were forced to move after the building of the Kennedy Space Center along with 12 other communities.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Andytown

County: Broward
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 26° 8′ 45″ N, 80° 26′ 30″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Andytown was a town located in Broward County, Florida, United States at the intersection of U.S. 27 and I-75. It was demolished in 1979 in order to allow for the expansion of the Alligator Alley portion of Interstate 75. Andytown can be found on maps from the 1970s (and even 1980s, as it was years before they were updated). It still remains today on some online map services. MSN’s Maps service, for instance, returns a map for a search of Andytown. Google Maps similarly includes a place marker for it.
Remains: In its day, when SR 84 and US 27 were each two-lane roads, the intersection was controlled by a simple traffic light. At the southeast corner of that intersection sat a typical highway gas station-convenience store-restaurant. The restaurant was a very popular stopping point, especially for people who ventured into or returned from the Everglades.
Current Status: Further remains of Andytown are located west of US 27 on Griffin Road; across the street from the cemetery is an FPL substation, named the Andytown Substation. Additionally, in nearby Davie, a bar called Andy’s Lounge and Package displayed an old Andytown sign over their door, until the bar was demolished to make way for a Cumberland Farms. Near Andytown was another place called Jo-Mo City on U.S. 27.
Remarks:

Anona

County: Pinellas
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 27° 53′ 43″ N, 82° 49′ 50″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Anona is an unincorporated area in Pinellas County, Florida, United States.
Remains: In 1883, Captain John Thomas Lowe made a landing here, with the town getting its name from Anona sweet apples from Key West. At first it was going to be named Lowe’s landing but its postmaster, from Cedar Key suggested it was to be Anona. In December 1883, the town gained a post office with Jefferson Lowe as its post master. There was a railroad spur that had crossed over the island here that allowed for transportation of goods to and from here (bridge removed in 1928). Soon the post office at the landing was converted to a General Store for the residents here. In 1872, the town got its first church which was made by the residents with Rev. John Wells as its preacher. A year later in 1873, a church board was formed and a schoolhouse was most likely in operation there in the weekdays. In 1882 a second church building was built and is still used today as part of a church. In 1900, the school was moved to the new building. In 1916, a bridge for cars and pedestrians was built across with a toll of 25 cents. The town was later on absorbed into Largo.
Current Status:
Remarks:

Apix

County: Palm Beach
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Apix, Florida was a former rocket testing facility that was for Project Suntan during the Space Race with a fake town in Palm Beach County, Florida, United States. Very little details have been revealed about the rocket testing facility.
Remains: Starting in 1945, there was heavy research into hydrogen as a fuel source. The Air Force wanted to create a faster plane for spying than the U-2. In 1956, Pratt and Whitney along with the United States Air Force decided to buy a 10 square mile piece of land in Western Palm Beach County.
Current Status: The project’s main goal was to test liquid hydrogen as a fuel source for rockets which had been in interest of the United States government since the late 1940s. Apix was part of what was called Project Suntan that was carried out in extreme secrecy from 1956-1958. The plant could liquefy Hydrogen at approximately rate of a half a ton a day, costing $6.2 million a day ($53,580,135.23 in 2017) and would be transported in an underground pipeline to a testing facility. A second plant was built in 1959 and had a capacity of 30 tons and cost about $27 million. In February 1959 the managers had decided that transporting liquid hydrogen in the underground pipeline took too much energy and decided to close it. Instead, they decided to ship hydrogen in insulated tanks on the Beeline Highway.
Remarks: At the time, the western part of Palm Beach County was sparsely populated. Authorities said it was a fertilizer producing town to cover up the operation so that residents would not be suspicious. The name Apix meant Air Products Inc, Experimental. There was also commercial protection to make sure that potential speculators and buyers stayed clear. Land nearby was also platted and had a census marker. Pratt & Whitney bought 9,000 acres near what would today be the J.W. Corbett Wildlife Refuge. For buyers to not know it was United Aircraft (now United Technologies) a third party had bought a ranch and gave it to the Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission which then was given to the U.S Air Force.

Apoxsee

County: Osceola
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Apoxsee is a ghost town in Osceola County, Florida, United States.
Remains: Apoxsee was a train depot that was along the Florida East Coast Railroad. The town was named Apoxsee in 1920 by JE Ingram the Florida East Coast Railroad vice president at the time. The town’s name comes from the Seminole word apaksi which means tomorrow. Apoxsee also was a turpentine town that had a post office from 1928 to 1933. Soon the turpentine supply declined as was common with many Florida turpentine towns.
Current Status: Then the railroad service discontinued in 1947 showing there was no future to the town and was then abandoned.
Remarks:

Arlington

County: Citrus
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 28° 52′ 10″ N, 82° 21′ 36″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Arlington is a ghost town in Citrus County, Florida, United States.
Remains: Arlington was a farming community. In Arlington it was originally known as Proveville because the settlers here had to live on land for a certain amount of time before it was their possession. The town in its heyday had about 50 residents in 1881, a school, a church and a sawmill. Residents here were mostly farmers and grew pineapples, Oranges and bananas. Arlington’s name most likely came from Arlington, Virginia.
Current Status:
Remarks:

Atsena Otie Key

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 29° 7′ 21″ N, 83° 1′ 35.76″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Atsena Otie Key, the original site for the town of Cedar Key, Florida is a Florida island. It includes a swimming area, trail and Faber Mill ruins. The property is part of the Cedar Key National Wildlife Refuge and is managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.> Atsena Otie Key is a barrier island a half mile offshore from Cedar Key, Florida
Remains: From 1818 to the early 1820s the island was used as a trading post, and was important during the First Seminole War. It remained as such until Florida was made a U.S. Territory in 1821.[citation needed] In 1840 General Walker Keith Armistead, commander at that time of United States troops in the Second Seminole War, ordered construction of a hospital on the island. U.S. Army headquarters for the war in Florida were moved to the island, and it became known as Depot Key. In August, 1842 Colonel William J. Worth, commander of the U.S Army in Florida, met with Seminole leaders on Depot Key and negotiated an agreement that if the Seminoles retreated to southernmost Florida and stayed there the Army would leave them be. On the basis of this agreement, Colonel Worth declared the Second Seminole War to be over. In October, 1842 Depot Key was hit by a hurricane that caused so much damage that the Army abandoned the post.
Current Status: In 1923 Atsena Otie Key was purchased for $500, and in 1929 the Cedar Keys National Wildlife Refuge established on nearby Snake, Bird, and North Keys. In 1950 the last remaining house on the island was destroyed by Hurricane Easy (1950).
Remarks: In 1997 Atsena Otie Key was sold to the Suwannee River Water Management District who entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to have the island managed as part of the Cedar Keys NWR. The island is open for public use. Atsena Otie Key is mentioned in the second act of Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny, an opera by Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill: the characters are waiting for a hurricane and they receive news that Pensacola and Atsena have just been destroyed by it.

Aurytown

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Balm

County: Hillsborough
Zip Code: 33503
Latitude / Longitude: 27°45′33″N 82°15′41″W / 27.75917°N 82.26139°W / 27.75917 -82.26139
Elevation: 131 ft (40 m)
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Balm is an unincorporated census-designated place in Hillsborough County, Florida, United States. The population was 1,457 at the 2010 census.
Remains: A post office was established here in 1902 and called “Doric”; it was renamed the next month to “Balm”. The community was so named on account of their “balmy” air. Prior to 1902, the Seaboard Air Line Railway established Balm as a flag stop. The railroad built a one-room station and water tank. This made Balm a focal point, and a small community including a blacksmith, sawmills, a teacher, and a general store sprang up by 1911.
Current Status: In 1937, electricity arrived, soon followed by a community telephone, set up in a barn for all to use. By 1945 the area had a population of over a thousand.
Remarks:

Bereah

County: Polk
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 27°39′20″N 81°37′25″W / 27.65556°N 81.62361°W / 27.65556
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Bereah was a town in Polk County, Florida. The town was situated 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) north-west of Avon Park.
Remains:
Current Status: Remains include the cemetery of the Corinth Primitive Baptist Church.
Remarks:

Barrsville

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Basinger

County: Highlands
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 27° 21′ 46″ N, 81° 3′ 10″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Fort Basinger was a fort in Highlands County, Florida. The fort was situated 10 miles (16 km) north-west of Okeechobee.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Bay Harbor (Industrial)

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Bayview

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Bayview (Inhabited)

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Bean City

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Bereah

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 27°39′20″N 81°37′25″W / 27.65556°N 81.62361°W / 27.65556
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Bermont

County: Charlotte
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Bermont, Florida is a ghost town in Charlotte County, Florida, United States.
Remains: Bermont was at one time a sawmill town that was founded in the early 1900s. The town was also known for its sugarcane, which was made into sugar and juice. In 1908, it received a post office. It soon grew to have a general store and a school that was used as a church during the weekends. It also had a weekly newspaper, debating society, horticulture club and a literacy club. The town even had its own baseball team called Bermont Baseball Team that would often play the nearby town of Sparkman.
Current Status:
Remarks:

Bethany

County: Manatee
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 27° 28′ 27″ N, 82° 15′ 51″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Bethany, Florida is a populated place in Manatee County, Florida, United States.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Birdon

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Boyette

County: Hillsborough
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 27°50′33″N 82°17′8″W / 27.84250°N 82.28556°W / 27.84250
Elevation: 82 ft (25 m)
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Boyette is an unincorporated community and former census-designated place in Hillsborough County, Florida, United States.
Remains: Boyette was established in 1907 by Sarah (Dormany) Boyette and named for her deceased husband Samuel Thomas Boyette. This farming community once was a thriving little town that boasted a general store with a gas pump, a sawmill, a railroad depot with loading ramps for crops to be loaded, a church & cemetery, dance hall, turpentine still, and a railroad section foreman with a crew to keep the tracks fixed. Mr. Wilson, was an early stationmaster and telegraph operator. A.T. Bennett, was the section foreman for the area of track and he and his crew of workers kept the railroad track in good working order. The area where they lived was called the “section houses”. This was a rough area and there were shootings and stabbings nearly every weekend. Occasionally moonshine stills would be brought out of the swamp and were busted by the authorities.
Current Status: The population was 5,895 at the 2000 census. The CDP area merged with Riverview in 2010.
Remarks: Founding families included the Simmons, Hobsons, Sumners, Wilsons, and of course Boyettes. The town died when the railroad was removed and all the residents either died or moved away. The Boyette family; however, remained maintaining a relatively lucrative farming business. Their descendants still maintain a small portion of the former estate today. There are only two historical remains of Boyette. One is the old cemetery, which is still there but has not been found in years; it exists somewhere in a nearby pasture. There is no other structure that dates back to the time.

Brewster

County: Polk
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 27°45′9″N 81°58′47″W / 27.75250°N 81.97972°W / 27.75250 -81.97972
Elevation: 143 ft (44 m)
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Brewster is a ghost town in southwest Polk County, Florida, United States, ten miles south of Mulberry. It is at an elevation of 143 feet above sea level and has been uninhabited since the early 1960s.
Remains: The village of Brewster was founded in 1910 and for decades flourished from phosphate mining. It was largely a company town for American Cyanamid. The town had its own schools, movie theater, medical clinic, post office, which was established in 1913 and discontinued in 1961, and swimming pool. The inventor of the digital computer, John Vincent Atanasoff, though born in Hamilton, New York, grew up in Brewster.
Current Status: The population is 3, according to the 2010 Census.
Remarks: The village was officially closed down by the company in 1962. Much of Brewster was demolished at the time, but some abandoned buildings remain, including a smokestack which rises prominently in the area as a landmark. The deed to Brewster was turned over to the state of Florida in partial payment of a judgment against American Cyanamid for environmental damages.

Bryant

County: Palm Beach
Zip Code: 33438
Latitude / Longitude: 26°50′59″N 80°36′59″W / 26.84972°N 80.61639°W / 26.84972
Elevation: 13 ft (4 m)
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Bryant is an unincorporated community in Palm Beach County, Florida, United States. Bryant is located on State Road 700 near Lake Okeechobee, 3.5 miles (5.6 km) northeast of Pahokee. Bryant has a post office with ZIP code 33438.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Buchanan

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Bullowville

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Bunce Village

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Bunkerhill

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Castor Town

County: Hillsborough
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Castor Town was a community in Hillsborough County, Florida, United States on Egmont Key and had 20 buildings in the early 1800s. The town was most likely centered on the fact that there was a fort for defense.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Centralia

County: Hernando
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 28°36’58″N 82°36’22″W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Governing body
Remains: Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Current Status:
Remarks:

Campville

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area (WMA)
Remains: Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area (WMA) preserves 24,243 acres of sandhill, mesic hammock, and forested wetland habitat ten miles north of Weeki Wachee in Hernando County, Florida. The area consists of one large tract of land, with three satellite tracts nearby.
Current Status: Today, visitors can still see foundations of the sawmill, the pond where trees floated before going to the sawmill, and other miscellaneous artifacts from Centralia. A few ancient cypress trees still survive deep within the swamp and are visible off of old tram roads.
Remarks: A logging boom town once operated in what is now Chassahowitzka WMA. The town was developed in conjunction with cypress logging efforts initiated by Edgar Roberts of the Central Cypress Company. Logging began with the construction of a sawmill around 1910 and continued until the lack of trees made it unprofitable around 1917. The post office closed in 1922. The town, at one time, had a population of over 1,500 people and included a post office, general store, sawmill, and hotel.

Chetwynd

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Chevelier

County: Monroe
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Chevelier, Florida was a planned community located near Chevelier Point on the Chevelier Bay currently in the Everglades National Park. It is in Monroe County, Florida, United States
Remains: Chevelier, Florida was a community in which plans started in 1916 by James F Jaudon a Miami businessmen. At the time during the early 20th century, many commercial developers such as Jaudon sought to drain and use it as an agricultural area. Jaudon created a corporation called the Chevelier Corporation to help sales. It was advertised that it was perfect land for sugarcane and agricultural usage. Land in Chevelier was $20 a acre. An advertisement map states that it had a half a million acres of land, 148,000,000 feet of timber that existed on the tract it was on. The flyer later states that it would have a scenic area preserved nearby. The Tamiami Trail was being proposed at the time which would help his city to develop he got very involved in the construction of it.
Current Status: When the trail was completed in 1928. There was not as large of an amount of development as expected and the Chevelier Corporation declared bankruptcy in 1937. It was then sold off to the Federal Government for back taxes. In 1947 the area became a part of the Everglades National Park and still is to the present.
Remarks:

Chicora

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Chokoloskee

County: Collier
Zip Code: 34138
Latitude / Longitude: 25°48′46″N 81°21′39″W / 25.81278°N 81.36083°W / 25.81278
Elevation: 10 ft (3 m)
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Chokoloskee is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Collier County, Florida, United States. The population was 359 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Naples–Marco Island Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Remains: Chokoloskee was briefly occupied by the United States Army during the Third Seminole War. In November 1856, 110 men of the Florida Mounted Volunteers reached Chokoloskee Island. From there, an expedition of 75 men went up the Turner River, where they burned a Seminole settlement and a couple of planted fields. After a skirmish with the Seminoles in which a Captain John Parkhill was killed, the expedition returned to Chokoloskee Island to find that their base had been moved to Cape Romano, because of a lack of fresh water on the island.
Current Status: The modern settlement of Chokoloskee Island started in 1874. The second family on the island was that of Adolphus Santini, who was soon joined by his brother and his parents. By around 1880 the Santini family held claim to most of the island. In 1882 there were five families living on the island, including those of the two Santini brothers. These early residents farmed, fished and caught turtles, selling any surpluses in Key West. Other residents came and went fairly frequently. Due to the efforts of Charles Greenleigh (C. G.) McKinney, a post office was established in Chokoloskee in 1891, although it was known as “Comfort” for the first few months.
Remarks:

Chosen

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Citrus Center

County: Glades
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 26° 48′ 44.51″ N, 81° 14′ 50.07″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Citrus Center is an unincorporated community in Glades County, Florida, United States, located on State Road 78 approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) west of the junction of SR 78 and U.S. Route 27, west of Moore Haven.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Clifton

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

College Hill

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Columbus

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Conant

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Cornwell

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Cosme (Inhabited)

County: Escambia
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established: 1741
Disestablished:
Comments: San Joseph de Escambe was an Apalachee mission community established in 1741 at the present-day community of Molino, Florida along the Escambia River north of Pensacola, lending its name both to the river and later to Escambia County, Florida. Taking its name from an earlier Apalachee mission community named San Cosme y San Damián de Escambe located far to the east in Leon County, Florida, this later Escambe mission was inhabited by refugee Apalachee Indians, including chief Juan Marcos Isfani (also rendered as Juan Marcos Fant), who had previously settled near the mouth of the river in 1718, having gathered a group of Apalachee refugees who had lived among the Creek Indians since the 1704 English-Creek raids that destroyed the Apalachee Province.
Remains: After twenty years along the northern Spanish frontier, the mission was burned in a Creek Indian raid on April 9, 1761, and its inhabitants resettled with the Yamasee Indian residents of San Antonio de Punta Rasa (also burned that spring) adjacent to modern Pensacola before relocating to Veracruz, Mexico along with the Spanish residents of Pensacola in 1763. The Apalachee and Yamasee were assisted in forming a new town north of Veracruz called San Carlos de Chachalacas along the river of the same name, and this town still exists today, though there is no documentation to demonstrate whether any of the Florida Indians who started the town still have any living descendants there.
Current Status: The archaeological site of San Joseph de Escambe was located in 2009 by a University of West Florida archaeological field school, and has been the site of several subsequent field schools which have uncovered evidence for the material culture of the Apalachee residents of the site, the Spanish infantry and cavalary soldiers garrisoned there between 1750 and 1761, along with a series of Franciscan friars assigned there.
Remarks:

Crewsville

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Cromanton (Tyndall Air Force Base)

County: Bay
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 30° 6′ 59″ N, 85° 38′ 6″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established: 1888
Disestablished:
Comments: Cromanton is an unincorporated community (by some accounts a ghost town) in Bay County, in the U.S. state of Florida.
Remains: Cromanton was platted in 1888. A post office was established at Cromanton in 1888, and remained in operation until 1941.
Current Status: Cromanton was overtaken by Tyndall Air Force Base and little remains of the original community.
Remarks:

Croom

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 28° 35′ 16.8″ N, 82° 13′ 37.2″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Pemberton Ferry, later renamed Croom, is a ghost town in Central Florida near Brooksville, Florida and Ridge Manor, Florida. A rail line came to Pemberton Ferry in 1884. It was a rail stop by the Withlacoochee River just north of where the I-75 bridge over Croom-Rital Road and Withlacoochee State Trail is today. The area is now mostly rural.
Remains: The Croom Tract is part of the Withlacoochee State Forest. There is also a 20,000 acre Croom Wildlife Management Area. Ruins in the area include 1900 Thomas House, old foundations, a brick vat, the remains of an iron railroad bridge, family cemeteries and pits from phosphate mining. The area once included a turpentine still, sawmill, sugar mill, railroad switch out, railroad bridge and ferry. The area is now popular for turkey hunting and single track mountain biking. Another settlement in the area was known as Oriole and an abandoned Oriole cemetery remains in existence.
Current Status:
Remarks: In 1886 a project to clear the Withlacoochee River for navigation went as far as Pemberton Ferry. A post office was located in the area from 1902 until 1935. Croom was on the west coast route of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad to Tampa. A station and a branch line extended to Brooksville. The iron bridge was a trestle for logging trains. The South Florida Railroad finished the construction of the 57-mile Pemberton’s Ferry Branch in May 1886. It ran from Bartow to Lakeland, where it crossed the South Florida mainline, north to Pemberton’s Ferry, where it interchanged with the Florida Southern Railroad.

Cutler

County: Volusia
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 25°37′38″N 80°19′15″W / 25.62722°N 80.32083°W / 25.62722
Elevation: 10 ft (3 m)
Time Zone: Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Cutler was a census-designated place in Miami-Dade County, Florida at the time of the 2000 census. It has since been incorporated into the Village of Palmetto Bay.
Remains: The Village of Palmetto Bay incorporated on September 10, 2002, taking the territory formerly held by the Cutler census-designated place.
Current Status: The population was 17,390 at the 2000 census.
Remarks:

How Many Ghost Towns Are In Florida?