Ghost Towns of Arizona (D-O)

Arizona State Flag

Dome

County: Yuma
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 32°45′19″N 114°21′44″W / 32.75528°N 114.36222°W / 32.75528
Elevation: 194 ft (59 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1858
Disestablished: 1940
Comments: Dome (O’odham: Hi:lo) is a ghost town located in Yuma County, in southwestern Arizona, United States. Originally Swiveler’s Station, 20 miles east of Fort Yuma, on the Butterfield Overland Mail route, a post office was established here in 1858. It was first under the name of Gila City the nearby boomtown 1 1/2 mile west of Swiveler’s but the post office closed July 14, 1863
Remains: Today the site lies along the railroad and a road that follows the old Overland stage route, south of the Wellton-Mohawk canal and Gila River. All that remains on the site is a large adobe building, one small adobe remnant and foundations. There is a cemetery nearby to the west.
Current Status: Subsequently it opened and closed several times before finally closing in 1940.
Remarks: Most of the town was swept away in the Great Flood of 1862, and then abandoned for the La Paz gold rush along the Colorado River. After the railroad passed by the site and an attempt to do large scale mining of the placers began, a new post office was established as “Dome” in 1892 but soon closed when the attempt failed.

Duquesne

County: Santa Cruz
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 31°22′15.56″N 110°41′08.66″W / 31.3709889°N 110.6857389°W / 31.3709889
Elevation:
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: June 6, 1890
Disestablished: February 14, 1920
Comments: Duquesne is a ghost town in the Patagonia Mountains in eastern Santa Cruz County, Arizona, near the international border with Sonora, Mexico. The town, which is currently under private ownership and closed to the public, was once the headquarters of the Duquesne Mining and Reduction Company and is the site of the Bonanza Mine. Washington Camp is approximately one mile northwest of Duquesne and was where the mine’s reduction plant was located.
Remains: On June 6, 1890, the post office in Washington Camp was closed and moved to Duquesne, which was also the location of the company headquarters and the Bonanza Mine. Major production began in 1912 and lasted until 1918, with total production at more than 450,000 tons of zinc, lead and copper ore and silver as a byproduct.
Current Status: The home still stands, although in disrepair. Other remains include a smaller frame house, a boarding house and brothel, an adobe commercial building and an old cemetery. The schoolhouse was located in between Duquesne and Washington Camp, to serve the students of each community, but has since been demolished. The site is now occupied by a modern A-frame cabin. There is also the ruins of various mining operations in the surrounding hills.
Remarks: During its heydey, Duquesne boasted 1,000 residents, several businesses and numerous homes, one of which was a large Victorian frame house belonging to George Westinghouse.

Ehrenberg

County: La Paz
Zip Code: 85334
Latitude / Longitude: 33°36′53″N 114°30′53″W / 33.61472°N 114.51472°W / 33.61472
Elevation: 305 ft (93 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Ehrenberg, also historically spelled “Ehrenburg” is a census-designated place (CDP) in La Paz County, Arizona, United States. The population was 1,470 at the 2010 census. Ehrenberg is named for its founder, Herman Ehrenberg. Ehrenberg is located on the Colorado River, which forms the border with California, near the city of Blythe. It is situated close to Interstate 10, at the southern end of Parker Valley and next to the Palo Verde Valley.
Remains: Around the start of the 20th century, railroads began to bypass the river as the major means of transporting goods. The town’s population declined, and it lost its post office on December 31, 1913.
Current Status: Many of the surviving older buildings in town were torn down in the 1950s to make way for a trailer park.
Remarks: In 1863, German mining engineer Herman Ehrenberg was hired to survey a new townsite along the Colorado River, approximately 6 miles (9.7 km) from La Paz, Arizona. The town, named Mineral City, began to grow in 1866, after a new landing was established there, supported by the steamboat captains of the George A. Johnson Company.

Fairbank

County: Cochise
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 31°43′23″N 110°11′18″W / 31.72306°N 110.18833°W / 31.72306
Elevation: 3,858 ft (1,176 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: May 16, 1883
Disestablished: 1970s
Comments: Fairbank is a ghost town in Cochise County, Arizona, next to the San Pedro River. First settled in 1881, Fairbank was the closest rail stop to nearby Tombstone, which made it an important location in the development of southeastern Arizona. The town was named for Chicago investor Nathaniel Kellogg Fairbank who partially financed the railroad, and was the founder of the Grand Central Mining Company, which had an interest in the silver mines in Tombstone. Today Fairbank is located within the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area (San Pedro RNCA).
Remains: By the mid-1970s Fairbank was all but deserted. The final remaining residents left when the buildings were deemed unsafe. After that, the post office closed, and the side roads became overgrown and largely impassable.
Current Status: Some years later, in 1986, the former Mexican Land Grant was acquired by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and the town was incorporated into the San Pedro Riparian NCA as the “Fairbank Historic Townsite”. What remains of the town of Fairbank is now open to the public.
Remarks: It was originally known as Junction City, then Kendall, then Fairbanks, and was formally founded as Fairbank on May 16, 1883 on the same day that the local Post Office opened.

Fortuna

County: Yuma
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 32° 41′ 26 N, 114° 27′ 11 W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1856
Disestablished: 1865
Comments: Fortuna is a ghost town in Yuma County in the U.S. state of Arizona. Fortuna was a mining town named for the Fortuna Mine or La Fortuna Mine, discovered about 1893 by Charles Thomas, William Holbert, and others, in 1893 in Arizona Territory.
Remains: It had its own post office from September 1896 that was discontinued in November 30, 1904 being replaced by Blaisdell, Arizona.
Current Status:
Remarks:

Fort Buchanan

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 31°39′27″N 110°42′25″W / 31.65750°N 110.70694°W / 31.65750
Elevation:
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Fort Buchanan was a United States Army post founded in 1856 three miles southwest of present-day Sonoita in Santa Cruz County, Arizona on the east slope of what is now called Hog Canyon. At the time, the area was under constant threat from hostile Apaches. Full-scale war with the local Chiricahua Apache was initiated by the Bascom affair in early 1861, during which Lieutenant George Nicholas Bascom and his patrol were based at Fort Buchanan.
Remains: The post was officially abandoned in 1861, though troops of the California Column occasionally manned the post during the American Civil War. In February 1865, Apaches attacked and burned the fort in the Battle of Fort Buchanan, forcing the small garrison to retreat.
Current Status: It was then abandoned for good and Fort Crittenden was established half a mile east on the flats in 1867.
Remarks:

Galeyville

County: Cochise
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 31°57’01N 109°13’06W
Elevation: 5,732 ft (1,747 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Galeyville is a populated place situated in Cochise County, Arizona. It has an estimated elevation of 5,732 feet (1,747 m) above sea level.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Geronimo

County: Graham
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 33°04′37″N 110°02′06″W / 33.07694°N 110.03500°W / 33.07694
Elevation: 2,723 ft (830 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Geronimo is a populated place located on Highway 70 between Bylas and Fort Thomas west of Safford in Graham County, Arizona.
Remains: Geronimo was named after the famous Apache chief Goyaalé, better known as Geronimo. Camp Thomas, the U. S. Cavalry began its management of the Apache Indian Reservation along the Gila River, was originally located here in 1876.
Current Status:
Remarks: The camp was later moved east to what is now Fort Thomas. Geronimo was once a stop on the Arizona Eastern Railway and had an operating US Post Office from April 30, 1896 until May 31, 1956.

Gillett

County: Yavapai
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 34°01′08″N 112°09′49″W / 34.01889°N 112.16361°W / 34.01889
Elevation: 1,834 ft (559 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1878
Disestablished: 1880
Comments: Gillette, Arizona, is a populated place situated in Maricopa County, Arizona. It has an estimated elevation of 1,362 feet (415 m) above sea level. Historically, it was a stagecoach station, and then a settlement formed around an ore mill serving the Tip Top Mine, on the Agua Fria River in Yavapai County in what was then Arizona Territory. It was named for the mining developer of the Tip Top Mine, spelled incorrectly as Gillette on U. S. Topographic Maps and elsewhere.
Remains: After the mill was closed in 1880, and moved to Tip Top in 1884, the town was soon abandoned. It remained with a store and a stagecoach station in 1880 with a population of two. Its post office had postmasters appointed up to October 1883, but it was discontinued in August 1887.
Current Status: Abandoned
Remarks: Gillette was founded by the superintendent of the Tip Top Mine, where he located the mill to process the ore from Tip Top, nine miles away. Its post office opened October 15, 1878.

Gila City

County: Yuma
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 32°45′18″N 114°21′46″W / 32.75500°N 114.36278°W / 32.75500
Elevation: 233 ft (71 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1858
Disestablished: 1863
Comments: Gila City is a ghost town in Yuma County in the U.S. state of Arizona. The town was settled in 1858 in what was then the New Mexico Territory. Gila City was founded on the south bank of the Gila River, 19 miles east of the confluence of the Gila and Colorado rivers. Also known as Ligurta, the town was established as a result of Arizona’s first major gold rush, when Colonel Jacob Snively led a party of prospectors to a placer deposit along the Gila River in and around Monitor Gulch, which emerges from the Gila Mountains to the south.
Remains:
Current Status: All trace of the town is gone, but small-scale mining continues today. The area of gold-bearing gravel extends from 1/4 mile east of Dome to 3 miles west of Dome, but most placer mining was centered on Monitor Gulch, 1 1/2 miles west of Dome.
Remarks: A booming gold camp, Gila City developed nearly overnight as prospectors rushed to the site. The Butterfield Overland Mail route passed through the boom town and one of its stations, Swivelers lay a mile to the east at the eastern edge of the placer deposits where a post office was established for Gila City in December 24, 1858.

Gleeson

County: Cochise
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 31°44′2″N 109°49′47″W / 31.73389°N 109.82972°W / 31.73389
Elevation: 4,924 ft (1,501 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1875
Disestablished:
Comments: Gleeson is a populated place situated in southeastern Cochise County, Arizona. It has an estimated elevation of 1,362 feet (415 m) above sea level. The town was first settled as Turquoise in the 1870s in what was then the Arizona Territory, then later re-established as Gleeson in 1900.
Remains: In 1912, 28 buildings burned to the ground and the town was rebuilt.
Current Status: Though several families still live on the site, Gleeson is, by all measures, a ghost town, with the only commercial venture appearing to be a rattlesnake products store. Visitors can find the ruins of a hospital, a saloon, a cemetery, a jail, the foundation of the village school and evidence of the extensive mining in the surrounding hills near town. The Gleeson cemetery is west of the town on the road to Tombstone.
Remarks: The Arizona Republic newspaper published an article on the town on January 12, 2014, stating that the jail has been renovated and now is a museum.

Goldfield

County: Pinal
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 33°27’32N 111°29’14W
Elevation: 2,024 ft (617 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Youngberg is a populated place situated in Pinal County, Arizona. Originally called Goldfield due to the nearby gold mines, The Goldfield Post Office was established on October 7, 1893 with James L Patterson as its first Postmaster. This was the same year that George U. Young arrived. After his arrival, the community also became known as Youngsberg.
Remains: When the gold mines closed in 1897 the post office soon followed in 1898. The town depopulated, before a new small community developed, and became known under its current name, which was in honor of Young, who was the Secretary for the Arizona Territory from 1909 to 1910.
Current Status:
Remarks: The Youngberg Post Office opened in 1920, and remained until 1926.

Goldroad

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Hardyville

County: Mohave
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 35°6′56″N 114°35′19″W / 35.11556°N 114.58861°W / 35.11556
Elevation: 540 Feet (165 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Bullhead City is a city located on the Colorado River in Mohave County, Arizona, United States, roughly 90 mi (140 km) south of Las Vegas, Nevada, and directly across the Colorado River from Laughlin, Nevada, whose casinos and ancillary services supply much of the employment for Bullhead City.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Harshaw

County: Santa Cruz
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 31°28′2″N 110°42′25″W / 31.46722°N 110.70694°W / 31.46722
Elevation: 4,872 ft (1,485 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1873
Disestablished: 1960s
Comments: Harshaw is a populated place in Santa Cruz County in the southeastern part of the U.S. state of Arizona. The town was settled in the 1870s, in what was then Arizona Territory. Founded as a mining community, Harshaw is named after the cattleman-turned-prospector David Tecumseh Harshaw, who first successfully located silver in the area. At the town’s peak near the end of the 19th century, Harshaw’s mines were among Arizona’s highest producers of ore, with the largest mine, the Hermosa, yielding approximately $365,455 in bullion over a four-month period in 1880.
Remains: Several historic buildings remain in Harshaw, although most are on private property belonging to the Hale Ranch. The most prominent building still standing is the James Finley House, now preserved and listed on the National Register of Historic Places as of November 19, 1974. Built around 1877 as a residence for the superintendent of the Hermosa Mine, the house was located just 100 yards (91 m) from the Hermosa Mill.
Current Status: Today, all that remains of Harshaw are a few houses, some building foundations, two small cemeteries, and dilapidated mine shafts. Most of the buildings were torn down by locals or by the Forest Service in the mid to late 1970s.
Remarks: Throughout its history, the town’s population grew and declined in time with the price of silver, as the mines and the mill opened, closed, and changed hands over the years. By the 1960s, the mines had shut down for the final time, and the town, which was made part of the Coronado National Forest in 1953, became a ghost town.

Helvetia

County: Pima
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 31°51′28″N 110°47′19″W / 31.85778°N 110.78861°W / 31.85778
Elevation: 4,324 ft (1,318 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1891
Disestablished: 1921
Comments: Helvetia is a populated place in Pima County, Arizona, that was settled in 1891 and abandoned in the early 1920s. Helvetia is an ancient name for Switzerland.
Remains: Helvetia was founded in 1891 for the settlement of workers from the surrounding copper mines. At its peak the city had 300 inhabitants, of which most were Mexicans. In 1911, the mines closed, due to low commodity prices. The post office, which had opened on December 12, 1899, closed on December 31, 1921, marking the end of the town.
Current Status: There is not much left of Helvetia to see, simply a pair of foundation walls rising above a floor, the ruins of the smelter, and the cemetery. In the vicinity there are slag heaps and shafts from the mines. Although the town is gone, there are several homes in the immediate area that are still in use, including the Helvetia Ranch.
Remarks: The 1967 western film Hombre was shot in Helvetia.

Hilltop

County: Cochise
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 31°59’40N 109°16’39W
Elevation: 5,702 ft (1,738 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Hilltop is a populated place situated in Cochise County, Arizona.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Hyder

County: Yuma
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 33°00′59″N 113°20′56″W / 33.01639°N 113.34889°W / 33.01639
Elevation: 538 ft (164 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Hyder is a populated place and farming community in Yuma County, Arizona, United States.
Remains: It and surrounding areas (such as “Sentinel” and “Agua Caliente”) houses several different types of fish, shrimp, and other types of farms, one school (Sentinel Elementary School), and two gas stations/general markets. There was also a bar at one point (the Whispering Sands Bar), which was really nothing more than a tin-topped shed, but it was closed some time in 1997 due to a change of ownership and lack of business.
Current Status:
Remarks: A twelve-car-long Amtrak train, the Sunset Limited, was derailed by an unknown saboteur near Hyder on October 9, 1995.

Jerome Junction

County: Yavapai
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 34°47′12″N 112°25′46″W / 34.78667°N 112.42944°W / 34.78667
Elevation:
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1894
Disestablished: 1920
Comments: Jerome Junction is a ghost town in Yavapai County, Arizona, United States. Established in 1894, the community served as a railroad transfer stop between the town of Prescott and the town of Jerome. It served as a transfer point between the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway (SFP&P) and the narrow-gauge United Verde & Pacific Railway for 25 years.
Remains: The narrow-gauge line was built precariously on the side of Woodchute Mountain by William A. Clark after he bought the United Verde Copper Company. When it was replaced by standard-gauge line on the east side of the mountain from Jerome to Clarkdale in 1920
Current Status: Jerome Junction became a ghost town, and in 1923, the activities of the former town were absorbed by Chino Valley.
Remarks:

Johnson

County: Cochise
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 32°06’11N 110°03’58W
Elevation: 4,977 ft (1,517 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Johnson is a populated place situated in Cochise County, Arizona, on the east side of the Little Dragoon Mountains. The location began as a mining camp, and a post office was established there in 1900, with William De H. Washington as its postmaster.
Remains: The post office closed in 1929.
Current Status:
Remarks:

Kentucky Camp

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 31°44′13″N 110°43′43″W / 31.73694°N 110.72861°W / 31.73694
Elevation:
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1905
Disestablished:
Comments: Kentucky Camp is a ghost town and former mining camp along the Arizona Trail in Pima County, Arizona, United States, near the community of Sonoita. The Kentucky Camp Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been since 1995.
Remains: As it is located within Coronado National Forest, the United States Forest Service is responsible for the upkeep of the remaining buildings within the Kentucky Camp Historic District.
Current Status: A freak accident that killed a mining engineer allowed Kentucky Camp to persist as it is today, a scenic canyon dotted with mesquites, oaks, tall grasses and cacti. The plans for the Kentucky Camp area in the realm of gold mining were ambitious but never really came to fruition.
Remarks:

Klondyke

County: Graham
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 32° 50′ 7 N, 110° 19′ 56 W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1907
Disestablished: 1955
Comments: Klondyke is a populated place in Graham County, Arizona, that was founded around 1900 by some miners who had recently returned from Alaska after participating in the Klondike Gold Rush. The town is located west of Safford in the Aravaipa Valley. The Galiuro Mountains lie to the southeast and the Santa Teresa Mountains to the north.
Remains: The mainstay of the town was the lead and silver mines, as well as the nearby cattle ranches. Klondyke’s population peaked at 500, but today there are only about a dozen residents.
Current Status: The first general store in town was started by a Mr. Bedoya inside a tent, but in 1904 he built a saloon, a wooden store, and a post office that was opened in 1907. The store burned down at one point, but Bedoya immediately built a new one. The town also had a school and a church.
Remarks: During the Great Depression, half of the town’s residents left and the post office closed in 1955. The site today may be classified as barren, although the Klondyke General Store and the Power’s Cabin, located south of the town, have been preserved and are now open to tourists.

Kofa

County: Yuma
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 32°52’55N 113°38’48W
Elevation: 390 ft (119 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Kofa, also historically known as Kofa Station, is a populated place situated in Yuma County, Arizona. The town, like the nearby hills of the same name, was derived from the acronym for “King of Arizona”, which had been coined by Colonel Eugene Ives. Ives had purchased a nearby mine from Charles Eichelberg for $250,000, which he named the King of Arizona Mine.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks: A post office was established in the town in 1900, with Lewis W. Alexander as its postmaster.

La Laguna

County: Yuma
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: La Laguna was a gold mining town in New Mexico Territory, now Yuma County, Arizona. It was in existence for a short time from 1860 to 1862. The town was a steamboat landing 20 miles above Yuma, Arizona on the Colorado River. It had a few merchants and a ferry across the Colorado River that served placer miners in the vicinity.
Remains: When the La Paz gold rush began, La Laguna began to decline and it was soon replaced by Castle Dome Landing, 15 miles to the north, following the discovery of gold in the Castle Dome Mountains. It remained for a time as the site of a store and a ranch, belonging to Jose Redondo, one of the first to mine gold at La Paz.
Current Status: The site of La Laguna now lies beneath Mittry Lake.
Remarks:

La Paz

County: La Paz
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 33°40′45″N 114°25′35″W / 33.67917°N 114.42639°W / 33.67917
Elevation: 584 ft (178 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1862
Disestablished: 1875
Comments: La Paz (Yavapai: Wi:hela) was a short-lived, early gold mining town along the Colorado River in La Paz County on the western border of the U.S. state of Arizona. It was the location of the La Paz Incident in 1863, the westernmost confrontation of the American Civil War. The town was settled in 1862 in New Mexico Territory, before the Arizona Territory was officially declared a United States territory by President Abraham Lincoln.
Remains:
Current Status: Today it is a deserted ghost town. In 1983, long after the town was deserted, the name was adopted by the newly formed Arizona county of La Paz. La Paz is Spanish for “peace”; the town was presumably named after another earlier town named La Paz, such as La Paz, Bolivia, or La Paz, Baja California Sur.
Remarks: Mountain man Pauline Weaver discovered gold in the vicinity in January 1862, starting the Colorado River gold rush. La Paz grew up in the spring of 1862 along the Colorado River to serve the miners washing placer gold in the La Paz Mining District. This district produced about 50,000 troy ounces of gold per year in 1863 and 1864. La Paz had a population of 1,500 and was a stage stop between Fort Whipple, Arizona and San Bernardino, California. The town was the county seat of Yuma County from 1864 to 1870, and as the largest town in the territory in 1863 was considered for the Arizona territorial capital.

Lochiel

County: Santa Cruz
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 31°20′06″N 110°37′29″W / 31.33500°N 110.62472°W / 31.33500
Elevation: 4,685 ft (1,428 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Lochiel is a populated place and former border crossing in southern Santa Cruz County, Arizona, approximately 25 miles east of Nogales. The townsite is located in the southwestern part of the San Rafael Valley on Washington Gulch about 1.5 miles west of the Santa Cruz River. It was first settled in the late-1870s and mostly abandoned by 1986. The town served the ranches of the San Rafael Valley and the Washington Camp and Duquesne mining towns of the Patagonia Mountains about five miles to the northwest up Washington Gulch.
Remains: The Lochiel area was originally inhabited by a small community of Mexican ranchers before a smelting works was erected in the late 1870s to serve the nearby mines in the Patagonia Mountains, bringing in American settlers. By 1881, a town by the name of Luttrell had formed and was home to some 400 people, most of whom worked in the smelter or in the mines, as well as five stores, three saloons, a brewery, a butcher shop, a bakery, livery stables, and a boarding house operated by a one Dr. Luttrell, for whom the town was originally named
Current Status: A few people still live in Lochiel to this day. In addition to a collection of old houses, Lochiel is the site of an adobe one-room schoolhouse, a teacherage, an old adobe church, and an abandoned U.S. Customs station.
Remarks: Lochiel is also the site where Fray Marcos de Niza first entered what is now Arizona. A large memorial just to the west of town was erected in his honor in 1939 by the National Youth Administration.

Millville

County: Cochise
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 31°38′9″N 110°10′21″W / 31.63583°N 110.17250°W / 31.63583
Elevation: 3,989 ft (1,216 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1879
Disestablished: 1888
Comments: Charleston is a ghost town in Cochise County in the southeastern part of the U.S. state of Arizona. It was occupied from the late-1870s through the late-1880s, and was located in what was then known as the Arizona Territory. Located on the west bank of the San Pedro River, Charleston’s economy was based on milling silver ore mined from nearby Tombstone in the community of Millville, located directly across the river.
Remains: Charleston was originally settled as a residence for the mill workers in Millville, on the opposite bank of the San Pedro River, where two mills were built to process ore from the silver mines of nearby Tombstone.
Current Status: After it was abandoned, Charleston was briefly inhabited in the 1890s by a small population of Mexican immigrants who furthered the town’s dismantling by using what was left of the wooden structures for kindling. Later, during World War II, the United States Army used Charleston as a practice site for urban combat, often using live ammunition.
Remarks: The site was known to the soldiers of nearby Fort Huachuca as “Little Tunisia” due to its climatic and geographic similarity to Tunisia in Africa. These activities, in and around 1943, led to further deterioration of the site.

Marinette

County: Maricopa
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 33°35′51″N 112°16′19″W / 33.59750°N 112.27194°W / 33.59750
Elevation: 1,142 ft (348 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Marinette was a ghost town in Maricopa County, Arizona, located just northwest of Peoria, Arizona, along the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. The site was promoted in the early 20th century for production of citrus fruit, apricots, olives, and other crops.
Remains: The town was purchased by the Southwest Cotton company, a Goodyear subsidiary, in 1920. At some point in the mid-20th century, it was abandoned.
Current Status: The place where Marinette once was later became the site of Del Webb Corporation’s Sun City, Arizona.
Remarks:

McMillenville

County: Gila
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 33°13′26″N 110°40′47″W / 33.22389°N 110.67972°W / 33.22389
Elevation: 4,442 ft (1,354 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1876
Disestablished: 1886
Comments: McMillenville, also known as McMillianville or McMillanville, is a populated place in Gila County, Arizona. Silver ore was discovered by chance in 1876 by Theodore H. Harris and Charles McMillen, and the town formed around the ore deposits.
Remains: On March 26, 1876, Harris and McMillen were heading 28 miles northeast of Globe on a prospecting trip. While traveling through the White Mountains McMillen got off his horse as he was too hungover to proceed farther. He went to sleep so Harris stopped, dismounted and sat down on a nearby ledge. Boredom led Harris to drive his pick into the rock and discovered silver. The pair founded the Stonewall Jackson mine which eventually turned into McMillenville, named after the drunken McMillen. The town grew fast and a year later on November 12, 1877, a post office was opened. At its peak, 1,000 settlers lived there.
Current Status: Almost nothing remains of the mines and mill, and only scattered ruins of the adobe buildings of the town mark the site of McMillenville today.
Remarks:

Mohave City

County: Mohave
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 35°02′24″N 114°37′23″W / 35.04000°N 114.62306°W / 35.04000
Elevation: 502 ft (153 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1863
Disestablished: 1938
Comments: Mojave City (also spelled as Mohave City) is a populated place in Mohave County in the northwestern part of the U.S. state of Arizona. Settled in the 1860s, in what was then the Arizona Territory, it was founded as a river landing and trading center for area miners and soldiers, and was named for Mohave County.
Remains:
Current Status: Today, nothing remains of the fort, or the original buildings of Mohave City.
Remarks:

Mowry

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Mt. Trumbull

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 36° 24′ 28.8 N, 113° 7′ 40.8 W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1984
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Oatman

County: Mohave
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 35°01′35″N 114°23′01″W / 35.02639°N 114.38361°W / 35.02639
Elevation: 2,710 ft (826 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Oatman is a town in the Black Mountains of Mohave County, Arizona, United States. Located at an elevation of 2,710 feet (830 m), it began as a small mining camp soon after two prospectors struck a $10 million gold find in 1915, though the vicinity had already been settled for a number of years. Oatman’s population grew to more than 3,500 in the course of a year.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Obed

County: Navajo
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 34°54′58″N 110°19′24.8″W / 34.91611°N 110.323556°W / 34.91611
Elevation: 5,023 ft (1,531 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established: 1876
Disestablished: 1877
Comments: Obed, Arizona was a town in Navajo County, Arizona located approximately three miles south of Joseph City, Arizona. It was settled in 1876 by a group of Latter-day Saints under the direction of George Lake.
Remains: The settlers built a fort that was twelve rods square with walls that were ten feet high. It had bastions, with portholes for defense at two corners and additional portholes in the surrounding walls. The camp consisted of 123 members, which included John Bloomfield and his wife and nine children. Cottonwood was sawed for lumber. The community had a school house in January 1877 and a denominational school was started the next month, with Phoebe McNeal as teacher.
Current Status: Numerous problems plagued the settlement. The site was malarial, was selected against LDS Church instruction, and had trouble with brush and log dams washing away. The population took chills and fever and finally abandoned the settlement in March 1877.
Remarks:

Oro Blanco

County: Santa Cruz
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 31°29’45N 111°16’47W
Elevation: 3,963 ft (1,208 m)
Time Zone: Mountain (NO DST) (UTC-7)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Oro Blanco is a populated place situated in Santa Cruz County, Arizona.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

How Many Ghost Towns Are In Arizona?