Ghost Towns of Texas (D-F)

Texas State Flag

Dalby Springs

County: Bowie
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 33° 22′ 8″ N, 94° 40′ 47″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Dalby Springs is a small unincorporated town in Bowie County, Texas, United States, once noted for its red sulphur springs, but now a virtual ghost town. Dalby Springs was first settled around 1839 and became a town around 1856. It began declining in the 1940s, with the advent of mechanized agriculture (as there were many cotton fields in the area).
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Darilek

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Darwin

County: Webb
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 27°42’43″N 99°44’43″W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established: 1882
Disestablished:
Comments: Darwin was a coal mining town near Laredo in west central Webb County, Texas, United States at the confluence of the Rio Grande and Santo Tomas creek near the present day Colombia-Solidarity International Bridge. It was founded in 1882 after coal was found near the area. It was named after David Darwin Davis, the Cannel Coal Company owner. In 1914, the town’s population grew to 800 and the Rio Grande and Eagle Pass Railroad was built to transport the coal extracted in nearby mines. By 1939 the mines were shut down and the population declined to 75.
Remains:
Current Status: Today, Darwin is a ghost town where all that remains is a cemetery.
Remarks:

Decker

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Deland

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Denhawken

County:
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Desdemona

County: Eastland
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 32° 16′ 13″ N, 98° 33′ 1″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Desdemona is a former oil boomtown and virtual ghost town located in Eastland County east of Abilene in West Texas. The community is located on Texas State Highway 16 at Farm-to-Market Roads 8 and 2214, approximately twenty miles southeast of the county seat of Eastland and twenty miles west of Stephenville, site of Tarleton State University.
Remains: Dating to 1857, Desdemona was one of the first Texas towns established west of the Brazos River. Settlers constructed a small fort on land owned by C.C. Blair for protection from Comanche Indian attacks. In 1873, Rockdale Baptist Church, the first organization of any kind in Eastland County, was constructed. Two years later, the brothers William and Ben Funderburg acquired the former Fort Blair land and proceeded to develop the community, then called Hogtown on Hog Creek. A post office was authorized in 1877 under the name “Desdemona”, a reference not to the character from Shakespeare, but the daughter of an area justice of the peace. During the 1890s, agriculture was important in Desdemona, particularly peanuts. The population reached 340 in 1904.
Current Status: In 1976, ninety wells were still producing oil or natural gas in the Desdemona field, and a Mobil plant was producing butane. In 1980 and again in 2000, the Desdemona population was reported as 180. As of 2013 three businesses remain in the town.
Remarks: Oil production dropped from more than seven million barrels in 1919 to fewer than three million in 1921. The boom ended nearly as quickly as it began, and much of the newer population abandoned the community. Another fire in 1921 destroyed an entire block. The Lone Star Hotel was also burned. With few residents, Desdemona dissolved its municipal government in 1936, and the general area has since been governed by Eastland County. The Desdemona public school (grades 1-12) was built in 1922, expanded as a Works Progress Administration project in 1937, and closed because of lack of enrollment in 1969.

Dewees

County: Wilson
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Dias E Ocho Creek Camp

County: Presidio
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Dias e Ocho Creek Camp is a ghost town in Presidio County, Texas. It was founded as a United States Army camp built around the same time as nearby Fort Holland. These two camps were built as defense against Francisco Villa and his cohort of bandits.
Remains:
Current Status: It was abandoned after World War I and is now located within the private Quinn Ranch property.
Remarks:

Dido

County: Tarrant
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 32°57’05″N 97°29’08″W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Dido is a ghost town in Tarrant County, located in the U.S. state of Texas.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Dietz

County: Wilson
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Dillon

County: Hopkins
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Dillon is a ghost town in Hopkins County, Texas, located four miles south of Saltillo. The town was named after E.F. Dillon, who started operating the post office in his store in 1901.
Remains:
Current Status: The post office closed in 1906, and in the mid-1930s the town disappeared from highway maps.
Remarks: The town became better known on the television series Friday Night Lights, starring Kyle Chandler as Dillon High School’s head football coach Eric Taylor, in the fictional town of Dillon, Texas.

Dixie

County: Grayson
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Doan’s Crossing

County: Wilbarger
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Dodge City

County: Williamson
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Doole

County: Concho
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Doole is an unincorporated community in McCulloch County, Texas, United States. According to the Handbook of Texas, the community had an estimated population of 74 in 1990.
Remains: The rodeo performer and promoter Dan Collins Taylor was born in Doole in 1923 and died there in 2010. For nearly a half-century, he was a chute director at the Cheyenne Frontier Days in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Current Status: A drought in the 1950s caused many farmers to leave the area in search of greater job opportunities. During the mid-1960s, Doole’s population had fallen to 40. That figure had risen to around 74 in 1970 and remained at that level throughout the rest of the 20th century.
Remarks: A ranching community called Gansel, after a prominent local family, was the area’s first settlement. It developed around Crossroads School, which had moved to the area from Fort Concho in 1908. Around 1911, residents decided to establish a post office and asked Brady’s postmaster – David Doole, Jr. – for advice. The postal service in Washington, D.C. rejected the name Gansel. In appreciation of Mr. Doole’s assistance, local residents decided to name the community after him. By 1914, Doole had an estimated population of 25. In 1936, East Gansel School closed and students were transferred to Doole. That year, another community – Stacy – began sending students to Doole, as well. Doole was home 250 people by the 1940s. At this time, students attended elementary school in Doole through the sixth grade, while secondary students were bused to Melvin. The community began to decline after World War II, mainly because of the consolidation of small family farms.

Doseido Colony

County: Wilson
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Doseido Colony was a small historic settlement which was located in western Wilson County, Texas (USA) one mile north of FM 775, at the intersection of county roads 321 and 361.
Remains: The community of Doseido Colony was a small, primarily African American, settlement in Northwestern Wilson County, Texas, one of Eight “colonies” established after the end of the American Civil War. In 1875, the community had a school and church both built out of hand-split logs, and filled with furniture handmade from logs. H. C. Abrams was the school teacher and he was paid $50 a month. With the growth of nearby La Vernia, Adkins, and Lone Oak, and after being bypassed by the railroad and major highways the community declined.
Current Status: All that remains now on the site of the settlement is the Doseido Colony Cemetery, which is partially overgrown by brush, and has many marked and unmarked graves.
Remarks:

Drumright

County: Glasscock
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Dryden

County: Terrell
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 30° 2′ 39.98″ N, 102° 6′ 51.01″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Dryden is an unincorporated community in south central Terrell County, Texas, United States.
Remains: The community was founded in 1882 and named for Eugene E. Dryden, the chief engineer of the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway, which was building its tracks through Terrell County and established a section house at Dryden. Over the next several decades Dryden became a small center for ranching-based businesses. The headquarters for the Pecos Land and Cattle Company was established in Dryden in 1884. The company drilled a well that supplied the area with water.
Current Status: By 1912, a hotel, the Dryden Hotel, had been established, along with a combined schoolhouse, community center, and church. Dryden had a population of nearly 100 by 1929. Two units of U.S. Army troops were stationed in Dryden during the 1913–17 Mexican border unrest. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the railway moved its crews and closed its depot at Dryden, and the area’s ranches were eventually broken up. Population began to dwindle to approximately fifty by 1970. Although a general store was operating in 1995, the population continued to decline to thirteen by 1988.
Remarks: The post office dates from 1888. The United States Postal Service currently maintains a post office in Dryden.

Duffau

County: Erath
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 32° 4′ 57.27″ N, 98° 1′ 17.02″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Duffau (/d”‘fo”/ d”-FOH) is a ghost town in Erath County, Texas, United States.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Dumas

County: Montague
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Dye Mound

County: Wilson
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Eagle Nest

County: Val Verde
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Ebony

County: Mills
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Eckert

County: Gillespie
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 30°24’52″N 98°44’12″W
Elevation: 1,739 ft (530 m)
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Eckert is a ghost town, 11.5 miles (18.5 km) northeast of Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, in the U.S. state of Texas. West of Willow City, on FM 1323, Eckert is at the junction of State Highway 16.
Remains: White settlers came to the area in 1875 and built Mount Zion, a log church. A small community they named Nebo, after nearby Nebo Mountain 3 miles (4.8 km) north, grew up around the church.
Current Status: The population peaked in 1925 at 100, but is today a ghost town. It does not have a zip code of its own, but shares the Willow City zip code. The small Eckert Cemetery lies just north of the community.
Remarks: A post office appointment was offered to, and declined by, George W. Graves in 1903. When Wilhelm Rudolph Eckert opened a store in the location in 1903, he became the first postmaster of Eckert. At his request, Nebo was renamed Eckert

Egypt

County: Leon
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Egypt is a ghost town in Leon County, Texas, United States.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Eliasville

County: Young
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 32° 57′ 35″ N, 98° 45′ 55″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Eliasville is an unincorporated community in Young County, Texas, United States. Eliasville is located near the Clear Fork of the Brazos River at the intersection of Texas Farm roads 1974, 3109, and 701, close to the Stephens county line in southwest Young County about 20 miles from Graham.
Remains: During the 1850s there was a river crossing near the present location of the town that was part of the Austin to Fort Belknap Military Road that was used by the 2nd U.S. Cavalry under command of Albert Sidney Johnston and Robert E. Lee. The first settlers arrived in the 1870s and Eliasville was founded on land owned by J. L. Dobbs. The town was officially named in 1878. The town is named for Elias DeLong who opened the first store and was the grandson of James Horton DeLong who served in the American Revolutionary War. Other early store owners include Dr. Joseph Henry Nelson who ran an early drugstore. Former Dallas Cowboys linebacker Mike Dowdle was born in Eliasville as were two University of Texas presidents, Dr. Harry Yandell Benedict and Dr. Homer Rainey.
Current Status: Two early residents were the Donnell brothers, William and Thomas, who established a grist mill on the Brazos River on the west side of town. The bed of the clear fork is sandstone in this area and made for a sturdy foundation on which to build a mill. The first mill was destroyed and then rebuilt in 1879 with help from a U.S. Government Engineer. The mill was destroyed in by fire in 1927. The remains of the mill and dam continue to be a popular stop for photographers and those looking for a glimpse of the past.
Remarks: During the boom years of the 1920s, Eliasville grew quickly and was incorporated in 1921. W. T. Donnell was the town’s first mayor. The areas minerals and oil led to this growth. During this time the town was served by the Wichita Falls and Southern Railway. By the 1940s the population started to drop and many moved to Fort Worth, Texas and other areas for defense work. The population was 400 in 1940, and had declined to 116 by 1980. A city lake was completed in 1952. Eliasville is no longer incorporated. As of the 2000 Census, the population was estimated to be 60. The community is best known today for the remains of the dam and historic mill.

Elizabethtown

County: Denton
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 33°01’18″N 97°16’36″W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Elizabethtown, once known as Bugtown, is a ghost town located about fifteen miles southwest of Denton in Denton County, Texas, United States. The town derived its original name from the adjacent Elizabeth Creek.
Remains: The town site was located in the southwest corner of Shamblen Survey. Its first residents, members of the Peters Colony arrived c. 1850. Elizabethtown served a supply station in 1852, mostly for cowboys driving their herds to Kansas. The town founders, the Harmonsons, constructed a church, homes, a business, and a school. At its height the school had 25 students. In 1859 the town had six saloons, a hotel and a post office, a staple of all true towns. According to residents of nearby Justin, Texas, Elizabethtown was once known as Bugtown because one night bugs had swarmed in on a camp meeting and arrived in such great numbers that it caused the preaching to be stopped.
Current Status: The last Denton County taxroll that Elizabethtown appears on is the 1880 roll. The Texas and Pacific Railway, which was built in 1881 from Fort Worth through Denton County, bypassed Elizabethtown by just two miles. Due to this many residents moved two miles to the east to the newly established town of Roanoke, along with their businesses, churches and the Masonic lodge. The only remains of the first town in southwest Denton County are in the form of the Elizabeth Cemetery, which is still in use today.
Remarks: During the American Civil War the frontier in and west of Denton County remained undefended against Indian resistance, many families moved east during this time period. Later, though, many did return. As the town grew it gained four general stores, another hotel and a livery stable, along with Baptist and Methodist churches, and a Masonic lodge that operated from 1873 to 1876.

Elm Creek

County: Guadalupe
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 28°46’25″N 100°29’27″W
Elevation: 751 ft (229 m)
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Elm Creek is a census-designated place (CDP) in Maverick County, Texas, United States. The population was 2,469 at the 2010 census.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Emerald

County: Crockett
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Emerald (also called Emerald Grove and Laverne) is a ghost town in Crockett County, Texas, United States. The community’s elevation and exact geographic coordinates are unknown, as nothing remains of the town, however it is said to be located between the hills of the Edwards Plateau. As Crockett County was organized in 1890 and Ozona became the county seat, the entire town of Emerald moved to Ozona.
Remains:
Current Status: In 1897 the last remaining building in Emerald, the school house, was moved to Ozona.
Remarks:

Emma

County: Crosby
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Epworth

County: Hale
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Estacado

County: Crosby/Lubbock
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 33°45’08″N 101°33’43″W
Elevation: 3,199 ft (975 m)
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Estacado is a ghost town in Crosby and Lubbock counties in the U.S. state of Texas. Located along Farm to Market Road 1527, it was established in 1879 as a Religious Society of Friends (Quaker) colony by Paris Cox and originally named Maryetta after his wife. In 1886, it became the first government seat of Crosby County. In 1936, Recorded Texas Historic Landmark number 4779 was designated to commemorate the founding of Estacado.
Remains: As treasurer of the North Carolina fellowship of Quakers, Cox was instrumental in helping the Religious Society of Friends, known as Quakers, find a favorable location for both farming and freedom from religious persecution. Their first move from North Carolina was to Indiana. Cox married Mary C. Ferguson during the sojourn in Westfield, Indiana. After some investigation, Cox purchased several thousand acres in Texas in 1877 and 1878, at twenty-five cents an acre. He first saw the Llano Estacado in 1878 when guided by buffalo hunters. There he met local rancher Henry Clay Smith. Cox arranged for Smith to plant experimental crops on some acreage and send the results to Cox in Indiana.
Current Status: Estacado continued to suffer. The Quakers moved elsewhere. In the early part of the 20th century, the population again saw an increase, but never again saw as many residents as it had in 1890.
Remarks: Estacado store owners R. L. Stringfellow and H. E. Hume founded the Crosby County town of Emma in 1890. The new settlements began to attract Estacado residents who had been discouraged by harsh environmental conditions. On October 14, 1891, a county-wide election was held on where the county seat should be located. Estacado lost to Emma by only six votes. The Estacado courthouse building was moved to Emma, and much of the population along with it.

Etholen

County: Hudspeth
Zip Code: 79839
Latitude / Longitude: 31°13’32″N 105°25’28″W
Elevation: 4,646 ft (1,416 m)
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Etholen, Texas is a ghost town in Hudspeth County, Texas, allegedly four miles west of Sierra Blanca. Different sources claim different things about when the town was founded, but particularly it was during the 1880s. Etholen never grew to more than a small railroad station on the Southern Pacific Railroad as the population was fewer than 25 by the mid-20th century. Etholen was removed from maps in the 1960s.
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Etna

County: Cherokee
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Fairview

County: Wilson
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Farewell

County: Dallam
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Farmer

County: Young
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Fasken

County: Andrews
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Fasken is a ghost town in east central Andrews County, Texas, United States. It rose and fell within the first half of the 20th century.
Remains: Founded in 1917 by the Midland Farms Company, it was originally part of a speculation enterprise. David Fasken, a lawyer and businessman from Toronto, Canada had purchased the 227,000-acre (920 km2) “C” Ranch in the hope of dividing this large cattle ranch into farm properties. To make the farms more attractive he had the Midland and Northwestern Railway built out to the properties and the town founded on the rail line. It was hoped that a large number of settlers would move there. Soon Fasken had a depot, a store, hotel, barbershop, school and a zoo. Many of the town’s lots did sell but few of the purchasers ever took up residence in Fasken.
Current Status: Heavy rains destroyed much of the railroad track in 1923 and the rail line had to be abandoned. Fasken declined rapidly and became a ghost town by the early 1930s.
Remarks:

Fastrill

County: Cherokee
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Flora

County: Smith
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Fort Belknap

County: Young
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 33°9’2.79″N 98°44’28.36″W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established: 1851
Disestablished:
Comments: Fort Belknap, located near Newcastle, Texas, was established in November 1851 by brevet Brigadier William G. Belknap to protect the Texas frontier against raids by the Kiowa and Comanche. It was the northernmost fort in a line from the Rio Grande to the Red River. The fort functioned as a base of operations rather than as a fortified point, and it became the center of a substantial network of roads, including the Butterfield Overland Mail. The fort was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960, in recognition of its key role in securing the Texas frontier in the 1850s and 1860s.
Remains: Other forts in the frontier fort system were Forts Griffin, Concho, Richardson, Chadbourne, Stockton, Davis, Bliss, McKavett, Clark, McIntosh, Inge, and Phantom Hill in Texas, and Sill in Oklahoma. Subposts or intermediate stations also were used, including Bothwick’s Station on Salt Creek between Fort Richardson and Fort Belknap, Camp Wichita near Buffalo Springs between Fort Richardson and Red River Station, and Mountain Pass between Fort Concho and Fort Griffin.
Current Status: The fort was gradually dismantled for building materials, so that by 1936, only the magazine and part of the cornhouse remained. Beginning with the Texas Centennial, portions of the fort were rebuilt and restored, mostly on their original foundations. The fort is home to the Fort Belknap Archives, which house records from North Texas.
Remarks: Some notable officers who were stationed at Fort Belknap include Captain Randolph B. Marcy and Lieutenant George B. McClellan. Together, the officers explored the Canadian River and found the headwaters of the Red River. The Second Cavalry was headquartered here in 1858

Fort Griffin

County: Shackelford
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 32°55’38″N 99°13’56″W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established: 1867
Disestablished:
Comments: Fort Griffin, now a Texas State Historic Site, was a US Cavalry fort established 31 July 1867 by four companies of the Sixth Cavalry, U.S. Army under the command of Lt. Col. S.D. Sturgis,:64 in the northern part of West Texas, specifically northwestern Shackelford County, to give settlers protection from early Comanche and Kiowa raids. Originally called Camp Wilson after Henry Hamilton Wilson, a recently deceased lieutenant, it was later named for Charles Griffin, a former Civil War Union general who had commanded, as de facto military governor, the Department of Texas during the early years of Reconstruction.
Remains: The original intent was to build permanent stone buildings, but throughout its 14-year existence, the fort retained a temporary appearance. Log houses called “picket” huts, tents, and rough frame structures were constructed as temporary shelter. The scarcity of materials, shortage of funds, and daily demands of military duty allowed for only six of the more than 90 buildings of the fort to be built completely of stone.
Current Status: Following the Red River War of 1874, the Comanche and Kiowa threat on the prairies waned, and rapid settlement by ranchers and farmer put Fort Griffin squarely in the settled area. Capt. j.B. Irvine, commanding Company A, Twenty-Second Infantry lowered the flag for the last time and marched to Fort Clark on 31 May 1879.
Remarks:

Fort Holland

County: Presidio
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Fort Holland (also referred to as Camp Holland) is a ghost town and former military installment in Presidio County, Texas. It is located west of the city of Valentine.
Remains: Fort Holland was built at Viejo Pass to defend against bandits led by Francisco Villa in 1918. Construction occurred on the site of the last battle between United States cavalry and the Apache Indians on June 12, 1880, a skirmish won by U.S. troops. Made of stone and wood, Fort Holland’s construction was at a total cost of over $16,000. The installment was closed after World War I’s end in 1921 as border patrols were no longer necessary in the area.
Current Status:
Remarks:

Fort Hudson

County: Val Verde
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Fort Martin Scott

County: Gillespie
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 30°14’58″N 98°50’47″W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established: 1847
Disestablished:
Comments: Fort Martin Scott is a restored United States Army outpost near Fredericksburg in the Texas Hill Country, United States, that was active from December 5, 1848 until April, 1853. It was part of a line of frontier forts established to protect travelers and settlers within Texas.
Remains: A line of seven army posts were established in 1848-49 after the Mexican War to protect the settlers of West Texas and included Fort Worth, Fort Graham, Fort Gates, Fort Croghan, Fort Martin Scott, Fort Lincoln and Fort Duncan. The fort was originally established as Camp Houston on December 5, 1848, and quartered Companies D and H, First United States Infantry. It was located two miles (3 km) southeast of Fredericksburg on Baron’s Creek and eventually consisted of a complex of twenty-one buildings. The soldiers patrolled the Fredericksburg-San Antonio road and surrounding area. One mission of the outpost was to protect settlers from Indian depredations.
Current Status: As of October 8, 2010, the Former Texas Rangers Association is moving forward with a plan approved by the Fredericksburg City Council to build a 41,350-square-foot (3,842 m2) Texas Rangers Heritage Center adjacent to Fort Martin Scott. The plans are for an educational complex that will focus on the heritage of not only the Texas Rangers but also Fort Martin Scott and Gillespie County. Scheduled ground breaking on the multimillion-dollar center is for October 2011.
Remarks: Fort Martin Scott was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1936, Marker number 10039, and added to the National Register of Historic Places in Texas on January 20, 1980. The fort is operated by the city of Fredericksburg and offers self-guided walking tours, pre-scheduled guided tours and school tours. Located at 1606 East Main Street (Highway 290), the site is open Tuesday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Donations.

Fort McKavett

County: Menard
Zip Code: 76841
Latitude / Longitude: 30°49’38″N 100°6’24″W
Elevation: 2,169 ft (661 m)
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Fort McKavett is a ghost town in Menard County, Texas, United States. It lies at the intersections of Farm to Market Road 864 and Farm to Market Road 1674, 20 miles southwest of the county seat, Menard. Its elevation is 2,169 feet (661 m). Although it is unincorporated, it has a post office, with the ZIP code 76841.
Remains: The settlement of Fort McKavett had its 1850s origins as a civilian population just north of Camp San Saba in Menard County (not the Camp San Saba in McCulloch County), with the name of Scabtown. Camp San Saba closed in 1859, and many residents fled to safer areas to be protected against Indian depredations. The United States Army reopened the outpost in 1869 as Fort McKavett. As the civilian population of Scabtown grew, the community was renamed after Fort McKavett, and the local economy began to thrive. The Army closed the fort in 1883, but the earlier relocation of native American tribes made the civilians feel safe enough to remain. The population grew, and with it an economy that supported two hotels, three churches, a newspaper, and a mattress factory. The population peaked at 150 at the beginning of the 20th century, but declined in the latter half of the century.
Current Status: The writer Robert E. Howard, a Texas history enthusiast, visited Fort McKavett in 1933, and wrote: “McKavett is fascinating – a village of ruins and semiruins, people living in the old unruined barracks and officers’s quarters, among the remnants of other buildings which had not stood the test of time.
Remarks:

Fort Oldham

County: Burleson
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Fort Phantom Hill

County: Jones
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Fort Quitman

County: Hudspeth
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 31°03’45″N 105°35’02″W
Elevation: 3,458 ft (1,054 m)
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established: 1858
Disestablished:
Comments: Fort Quitman was a United States Army installation on the Rio Grande in Texas, south of present-day Sierra Blanca, 20 miles southeast of McNary in southern Hudspeth County. The fort, now a ghost town, was named for Mississippi Governor John A. Quitman, who served as a major general under Zachary Taylor during the Mexican-American War.
Remains: In 1963, Recorded Historic Texas Landmark number 2007 was placed at the county courthouse, honoring Fort Quitman. Fort Quitman was established on September 28, 1858, by units of the 8th Infantry Regiment. The first troops were under the command of Captain Arthur T. Lee and included 86 officers and men. Their mission was to protect the San Antonio-El Paso Road. It was a station on the route of the mail coaches of the San Antonio-San Diego Mail Line and later the Butterfield Overland Mail.
Current Status: Expeditions against the Apache in the Sacramento Mountains were mounted from Fort Quitman, but they met with little success. Gradually the garrison was reduced to a single company of infantry. The last unit, Company B of the 25th Infantry Regiment, left in January 1877. The post itself was burned later that year by an angry mob from San Elizario during the San Elizario Salt War. The rioters destroyed it in protest of federal support of a rival faction. It was temporarily reoccupied as a sub-post of Fort Davis by troops from the 10th Cavalry Regiment from 1880 to 1882 during Victorio’s War. The building of the Southern Pacific Railroad through the pass in the mountains north-west of the post, effectively by-passing it, eliminated the need for this post.
Remarks: The Fort was regarrisoned in January 1868 by Buffalo Soldiers of the 9th Cavalry Regiment and 42 Infantry under command of Major Albert Payson Morrow of the 9th Cavalry. Much of the post was in bad condition and was never fully restored. Soldiers would complain about adobe from the walls falling into their bunks as the slept due to the poor condition of the buildings. It has been stated, “No worse site for a military post could ever be conceived.” It was all but totally isolated from civilization with mountain ranges running down both sides of the river. Any attempts at cultivating gardens to help with food supplies met with little success.

Fort Terrett

County: Sutton
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 30°27’47″N 100°11’09″W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established: 1852
Disestablished:
Comments: Site of Fort Terrett Fort Terrett was a U.S. Army post from 1852 – 1854, later the site of a ranch, an historic locale in Sutton County, Texas, United States.
Remains: Originally named “Post on the Rio Llano or Post on the North Fork River Llano and Camp Lugubre” renamed in 1852 after Lt John Terrett. Terrett was killed in the Battle of Monterrey in 1846. Lt. Col. Henry Bainbridge established the camp in February 1852 for protection for the settlements and travelers along the Upper San Antonio Road. It was located along the North Llano River in Sutton County, Texas. The post was abandoned on February 1854 the troops locating farther to the west and north on the advancing frontier. The fort buildings were then used for the Noel ranch. The state of Texas constructed a site marker now located off CR 307 near I-10 Exit 429.
Current Status:
Remarks:

Fratt

County: Bexar
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Frio Town

County: Frio
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 29° 1′ 10″ N, 99° 18′ 10″ W
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Frio Town, known as Frio City before 1886, is a ghost town immediately south of the Presido Crossing on the Frio River in Frio County, Texas, United States.
Remains: Located sixteen miles northwest of Pearsall, the town was laid out by A.L. Oden in 1871. The river crossing it lay near was named for the fact that numerous cannonballs, swords and sabers were found there. Juan De Ugalde in the 18th century, Antonio López de Santa Anna in 1836 and Adrián Woll in 1842 were all thought to have used the Presido Crossing.
Current Status: By 1953 the townsite was mostly abandoned and a Mrs. A.C. Roberts owned most of the structures including the courthouse and roofless jail. The town’s population remained steady at 20 throughout the 1960s and even jumped to 49 in 1969. By 1990, all that remained of the once bustling Frio City was the Frio Town Cemetery and the largely intact ruins of the original courthouse and jail on the private Roberts Ranch. The ruins of the courthouse are considered a historic courthouse by the Texas Historical Commission.
Remarks: With the establishment of the town of Pearsall along the rail route people began to leave Frio City. By 1883 Pearsall had become the county seat and in 1886 Frio City changed its name to Frio Town. W. Yancey Kilgore purchased the Frio Town courthouse in 1884, it later housed a general store, the post office and in 1884 the Frio Academy. By 1890 the population had fallen to 100 and in 1906 17 pupils attended the two teacher Frio Academy. The town slowly dwindled into obscurity even with the addition of telephone connections in 1914. During that year Frio Town housed a general store and six cattle breeders. In 1929 the town contained a school and five homes. In June 1930 the Rio Grande Baptist Association celebrated their 50th anniversary at the site of the old courthouse.

Frosa

County: Limestone
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Fry

County: Brown
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude:
Elevation:
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments:
Remains:
Current Status:
Remarks:

Fuqua

County: Liberty
Zip Code:
Latitude / Longitude: 30°26’50″N 94°44’11″W
Elevation: 115 ft (35 m)
Time Zone: Central (CST) (UTC-6)
Established:
Disestablished:
Comments: Fuqua is a ghost town located in Liberty County, Texas, United States.
Remains: Fuqua was located 56 miles northwest of Beaumont, Texas in the northeastern corner of Liberty County, Texas. The old site of Fuqua is located in the thick woods off of Farm Road 787 (today, the road is named County Road 2650). The elevation is 115 ft (about 35 m).
Current Status:
Remarks:

How Many Ghost Towns Are In Texas?